How to get started?

Reaction score
I tried to start a couple of times by buying potted herbs at the supermarket and trying to take care of them but always fail miserably after a few days.
Would it be better to start from the absolute beginning and plant the seeds and wait for the herbs to grow?
And which ones are the easiest and provide the biggest margin for errors?

Reaction score
I'm still new to growing herbs but hopefully I can help you with the little bit of information I've recently learned.

Personally, I like to start from seeds because it gives me a huge sense of accomplishment. I started with four herbs from seeds (sage, lavender, oregano and rosemary. Three of the four grew great for two months but just died. :( I know your supposed to keep them inside for a while but I just couldn't find the right spot. So, I made a greenhouse on my back porch. I kept them moist by using a watering can, but not drenched. I switched from a watering can to a mist sprayer. They did very well with that, too. I became ill and didn't water for a couple days which is when they dried out. I was not able to revive them. But, I learned from that and am successfully raising other herbs.

I would also love to hear what others have to say.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Hi Oakster.

My first thought was that if you're struggling to keep plants alive, growing them from seed is not going to make things easier for you. However rereading your post I noticed something I missed the first time - you bought your herbs from a supermarket.

If the supermarkets where you live are anything like they are here, that might be the root of the problem. I've seen many dead or dying plants for sale in my local supermarkets, and mostly it's because nobody bothers to water them. If you must buy plants from supermarkets, be sure that they are healthy and that the soil is damp. If the soil is dry, there is a good chance that they won't survive for very long even if they are given the correct care when you bring them home. It's much safer to buy plants from a garden center if you are able to do so.

If you're up for the challenge, then growing them from seed is really rewarding.

Good luck. I hope you have some success with herbs really soon.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help :)
When I get them from the supermarket they usually "seem" in good health but looks can be deceiving :)
I'm going to the garden center tomorrow to get some seeds and I'll give planting them a try.

Reaction score
I tried to start a couple of times by buying potted herbs at the supermarket and trying to take care of them but always fail miserably after a few days.
Would it be better to start from the absolute beginning and plant the seeds and wait for the herbs to grow?
And which ones are the easiest and provide the biggest margin for errors?

The easiest herb I've ever grown from seeds is basil. Once you get it started, it grows like a weed. It doesn't need a ton of attention. As long as you live in a warm climate and keep it watered, it's pretty bulletproof.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I get plants from all over the place, including the supermarket. Herbs are possibly the easiest things to grow, at least among edibles, but they need certain kinds of conditions. You are most likely watering them too much or too little. If they don't get enough sunlight, they will not grow very much. They will grow much better outdoors than they will indoors.

The time of the year they are started makes a difference as well. The plants you buy at a store are started in a greenhouse most often and sometimes ahead of their season. Some herbs need lots of water, like cilantro and some, like rosemary, do not. Some can do well in the same container with others and some need their own space.

When you purchase these herbs at the store, do you immediately repot them? Most have already used up the space in their little pots and need more room for their roots to spread. Starting herbs from seed takes a long time, but it can be very rewarding to watch the plants grow and mature.

I would recommend you buy your favorite herbs that you cook with most often, repot them as soon as you get home, water carefully and only when needed, and then start more herbs from seed that you can use later.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Herbs grown for the supermarket are so stressed that they usually die pretty quickly.

Oregano, mint, chives, basil, sage and dill are pretty easy to grow from seed, and dill self sows, so you usually have some the following year.

Rosemary is better bought as a plant from your garden centre and kept in a big pot, so that it doesn't get over-watered.

Reaction score
I think it's a good idea to start with one of those little window garden sets. That what I did, and mine are doing great. You can pick them up for less than $10, and they have everything that you need to get started...except for the water. ;)

Reaction score
Try growing oregano and mint from seed. They are pretty easy to grow. I would suggest you grow them in a pot. Happy gardening.

dim

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I planted a few supermarket herbs that were in pots, and planted them into the ground in my new veg patch

Thyme, corriander, and parsley are doing great and have lots of new growth

basil is another story .... it wilted, browned and most leaves fell off, but I do see new leaves forming now .... but saying that, I also bought several basil plugplants from my garden centre, and they too seem to be struggling at the moment .... The greek Basil is doing well though (from a garden centre)

the problem with supermarket herbs bought in pots, is that many are grown under lights, and stress bigtime when planted into a sunny position in the soil

Ask a Question