How to get rid of root suckers

Reaction score
Country
United States
About 20 years ago we planed a dogwood tree in one of our planter beds. Since planting the tree it has sent root suckers all throughout the garden, and they extend about 20' away. The tree died in an ice storm a couple years ago and was removed, but the suckers continue to grow and are overtaking everything else in the garden. Historically, I've cut back the suckers and in some cases chopped out the roots (sucker base root) to remove them, but they are quite persistent and seem to be able to propagate from an existing portion of a root. Is there any way to get rid of these once and for all? Unfortunately, I don't recall the type of dogwood, but it looked similar to a Gray dogwood (swamp dogwood). Thanks in advance for any advice!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If the main stump of the now dead tree is still there drill a bunch of 1/2 holes as deep as you can into it. Fill up the holes with Stump and Vine Killer. This stuff will soak into the roots an act as a systemic herbicide.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If the main stump of the now dead tree is still there drill a bunch of 1/2 holes as deep as you can into it. Fill up the holes with Stump and Vine Killer. This stuff will soak into the roots an act as a systemic herbicide.
Thank you. The stump is still spouting new shoots, so I think I need to chop/dig that out. If I dig holes and fill with stump and vine killer will this kill other plants shrubs in the vicinity? Asking because the suckers are popping up in and around the other plants. I would not want to kill everything, but have considered this as a last resort option.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you. The stump is still spouting new shoots, so I think I need to chop/dig that out. If I dig holes and fill with stump and vine killer will this kill other plants shrubs in the vicinity? Asking because the suckers are popping up in and around the other plants. I would not want to kill everything, but have considered this as a last resort option.
No, it will not affect any other plants. It acts as a systemic, meaning that it is in the system of the tree and nowhere else. If you dig out the stump you will not have any means of killing the roots. Leave the stump there and treat the stump. The chemicals will go from the trunk into the roots and stop the suckers as the root dies. Those suckers are all coming from underground roots and the herbicide stays in the roots for a period of time, (a few weeks) and then goes away. Depending on how wide spread the roots are will depend on how long you will have to treat the stump.

Reaction score
Country
United States
No, it will not affect any other plants. It acts as a systemic, meaning that it is in the system of the tree and nowhere else. If you dig out the stump you will not have any means of killing the roots. Leave the stump there and treat the stump. The chemicals will go from the trunk into the roots and stop the suckers as the root dies. Those suckers are all coming from underground roots and the herbicide stays in the roots for a period of time, (a few weeks) and then goes away. Depending on how wide spread the roots are will depend on how long you will have to treat the stump.
Got it - excellent! I will give that a try. Hopefully, the end to this garden nightmare. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
If it's legal in your state, purchase Tordon herbicide. I had a Tree of Heaven problem a few years ago in my yard. I did the hack-and-squirt method, squirting small amounts of Tordon into the freshly cut stumps. It hasn't grown back since.

Ask a Question