How to fertilize with mulched plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I have pine mulch in my container vegetable plants. I use granulate fertilizer. Do I have to move the mulch out of the way to fertilize, or can I just put the fertilizer on top of the mulch?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have pine mulch in my container vegetable plants. I use granulate fertilizer. Do I have to move the mulch out of the way to fertilize, or can I just put the fertilizer on top of the mulch?
Google can I fertilize over mulch................personally I don't think it matters much. The granules dissolve over time with each watering and go to the roots. Many plants will root up into the mulch and pulling the mulch back could damage the roots. I mulch everything in my garden except beans and never go to the trouble of moving it out of the way. I fertilize every 2 weeks and that would be waaay too much work for my frail old body to handle and besides being too much work it would severely cut into my beer drinking time.:D

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Thank you! I did google it before I asked here, but I got both types of answers. I thought I would double check here first. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thank you! I did google it before I asked here, but I got both types of answers. I thought I would double check here first. :)
I've discovered that you can find any answer you want when it comes to gardening. (However, this applies to any topic). There are a lot of opinions (and myths) in gardening. I would recommend this book on combating the myths; if you don't want to buy it, check out your local library. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/inf...ces_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP24104

The author is Linda Chalker-Scott and it helped me a lot in dispelling a lot of myths and I agree with most of her writings; she has tons of experience and research, but still I find some things I do opposite of her recommendations, simply because it seems to work better for me in my environment and what I'm looking for in my gardening.

Ask a Question