How to exterminate ferns?

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Ferns are an obnoxious weeds in the garden due to the fact that they reproduce by means of spores. These are very resistant and are encased with a tough coat which can withstand dry conditions to germinate when moisture and conditions are conducive. They are also tricky to pull from the ground to the roots. How should one deal with them?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Ferns in Texas aren't obnoxious weeds--it's difficult to get them to grow! We have heat, dry spells, hot sun and in many places in Texas, the soil doesn't allow pulling roots up (I know, because we are in the blackland prairie and the soil hangs on to anything!).
Perhaps if you posted pictures of the ferns you are dealing with, someone in a more congenial climate to ferns would be able to help. Frankly, I'd be very happy to have your problem!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not having this problem all I can think of is solarization. Cut them off at ground level, soak the ground and cover the area with plastic.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Not having this problem all I can think of is solarization. Cut them off at ground level, soak the ground and cover the area with plastic.
I actually did almost this when i dug out a row of agapanthas. Dug as many roots out as i could and covered the area with plastic and then mulch. That was a few years ago and so far do good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My region has at least a dozen native ferns but none are invasive as far as I know. Ferns (bought, usually) are fairly common garden accents for shady areas...I have two types in my garden and love them, though they do have to be divided/thinned every few years so they don't take over.

I would think that smothering them would be the most low-tech way to get rid of unwanted ones.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you didn't want to use plastic, a couple layers of corrugated cardboard would work, also. If you leave it long enough, cardboard will eventually turn into dirt. (y)

Ask a Question