How to dry seeds?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I like planting vegetables. However, I would always buy seeds from stores at the mall, and they are very expensive. I don't want to spend a lot, so I try to dry my own seeds. Sadly, I always fail at this no matter how many articles I read online. I was wondering if someone can teach me a simple way on how to dry seeds like cucumber, squash, and eggplant.

Reaction score
My mom used to dry seeds from year to year. She simply laid them on on a piece of cheesecloth in the sun. With the heat we had in central Texas it just took a couple of days for the seeds to dry. She would simply store them in small, labeled baby food jars. Good luck. I hope you are successfull.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Hi! Thanks for the swift reply. I do this, too. I put the seeds out to dry. But for some reason, they still won't grow. It gets me frustrated sometimes. Maybe it's the difference in the climate, or maybe, I am trying to dry seeds that are not meant to be dried

Reaction score
I like planting vegetables. However, I would always buy seeds from stores at the mall, and they are very expensive. I don't want to spend a lot, so I try to dry my own seeds. Sadly, I always fail at this no matter how many articles I read online. I was wondering if someone can teach me a simple way on how to dry seeds like cucumber, squash, and eggplant.

I've successfully dried and used several varieties of squash seeds over the years. All I do is place them on a piece of kitchen paper on my kitchen windowsill where I get a lot of direct sunlight. I leave them for about 3 days, and then I put them into little paper envelopes that I seal, and place them in my cupboard under the stairs with everything else that I like to keep cool and dark.

Maybe you are successfully drying but not storing properly? I've had issues trying to do heirloom tomato seeds - but I think I've managed it this year. We'll see what happens next year.

Reaction score
[QUOTE="helagumamela, post: 35270, member: 1505" I put the seeds out to dry. But for some reason, they still won't grow. It gets me frustrated sometimes. Maybe it's the difference in the climate, or maybe, I am trying to dry seeds that are not meant to be dried[/QUOTE]

If you are drying your seeds in direct sunlight - this could well be the reason why you are not having much success - especially as its recommended that when drying seeds you place them in an area with good airflow in bright light ( not direct sunlight ) - as direct sunlight generally damages the cell membrane and therefore kills the seed - which is why they don't germinate.

As for storage - the best and most recommended way of storing seeds - is to store them in a cool dry relatively dark place - where the temperature remains fairly constant - with the optimum temperature being around 2-16 C or 35 -60 F and preferably in something other than a plastic bag - and if its any help - I store mine in greaseproof paper inserted into a brown envelope.

Reaction score
If you are drying seeds from hybrid plants sometimes you won't get the results you expect anyway. Just let them air dry instead of placing them in the sun.

Reaction score
[QUOTE="helagumamela, post: 35270, member: 1505" I put the seeds out to dry. But for some reason, they still won't grow. It gets me frustrated sometimes. Maybe it's the difference in the climate, or maybe, I am trying to dry seeds that are not meant to be dried

If you are drying your seeds in direct sunlight - this could well be the reason why you are not having much success - especially as its recommended that when drying seeds you place them in an area with good airflow in bright light ( not direct sunlight ) - as direct sunlight generally damages the cell membrane and therefore kills the seed - which is why they don't germinate.

As for storage - the best and most recommended way of storing seeds - is to store them in a cool dry relatively dark place - where the temperature remains fairly constant - with the optimum temperature being around 2-16 C or 35 -60 F and preferably in something other than a plastic bag - and if its any help - I store mine in greaseproof paper inserted into a brown envelope.[/QUOTE]

I usually dry my squash seeds in direct sunlight, and they are fine. But I usually dry other seeds spread out all over the dining table, and nobody is allowed in there until they are done. I will try putting my squash seeds on there next time (I've already dried this year's) and see if there's any difference, but as I said, they've usually been ok. Maybe it's the weaker sun here in the UK - and the general lack of it at times!

You seem to have good knowledge of how to do it well. Thanks for sharing. :)

Reaction score
I usually dry my squash seeds in direct sunlight, and they are fine. But I usually dry other seeds spread out all over the dining table, and nobody is allowed in there until they are done. I will try putting my squash seeds on there next time (I've already dried this year's) and see if there's any difference, but as I said, they've usually been ok. Maybe it's the weaker sun here in the UK - and the general lack of it at times!

You seem to have good knowledge of how to do it well. Thanks for sharing. :)

You are welcome and thank you - as yes I do do - which is why I would say that regardless of the type of seed or the strength of the sunlight - it always best to dry seeds in bright light and not direct sunlight - as that way it is much more likely that you will get seeds that will germinate and be rewarded with a strong healthy plant :)

Reaction score
I would like to share my personal process that has worked out for me. I dry seed on a window sill that is facing north. The place must be dry, cool and airy. I leave the seeds on a folded newspaper for a couple of days.

Meanwhile I start preparing small empty jars to house my new seeds.

When the seeds are dried and ready to be stored, I wash the jars and put them in the microwave for a couple of minutes. Next, I will put the oven on and set it on the lowest temperature (round 90 degrees Celsius). After a few minutes I put in the jars and turn it off.

The trick is then to put the seeds in the jars and close the jar while they are still in the oven. Take the jars out and store them in a cool and dry place. When the air inside the jar cools down and the air contracts, it seals the jar as if vacuumed.

Reaction score
I would like to share my personal process that has worked out for me. I dry seed on a window sill that is facing north. The place must be dry, cool and airy. I leave the seeds on a folded newspaper for a couple of days.

Meanwhile I start preparing small empty jars to house my new seeds.

When the seeds are dried and ready to be stored, I wash the jars and put them in the microwave for a couple of minutes. Next, I will put the oven on and set it on the lowest temperature (round 90 degrees Celsius). After a few minutes I put in the jars and turn it off.

The trick is then to put the seeds in the jars and close the jar while they are still in the oven. Take the jars out and store them in a cool and dry place. When the air inside the jar cools down and the air contracts, it seals the jar as if vacuumed.

I've never heard of this method before, but I'm interested in trying it with a few seeds next year to see how it goes. I'm surprised the heat of the jars doesn't damage the seeds, but I suppose if you have tried and tested it and the seeds have been ok, then I suppose it must be.

It doesn't hurt to know alternate ways of doing things. ;)

Reaction score
Hi! Thanks for the swift reply. I do this, too. I put the seeds out to dry. But for some reason, they still won't grow. It gets me frustrated sometimes. Maybe it's the difference in the climate, or maybe, I am trying to dry seeds that are not meant to be dried

I think you need to leave them to dry under the sun longer, if I'm not mistaken you are from the Philipines, so the weather there tends to be a bit more warm and moist. Here in Texas is waaay more dry!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I think you just have to keep trying:) Soon or later you will succeed.
I always place all seeds on a paper towel in my kitchen and I let them dry. Usually, it takes a few days.

Ask a Question