how to care for overwintered mandevilla

mvona

The butler
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello to all Garden/plant lovers,
We live in western NY state on the shore of Lake Erie near Buffalo. The mandevilla that we purchased last year did so well that we brought it in for the winter. It has done fairly well so far; we've been pruning the stringy vines off of it all winter. I'm thinking that in another 8 weeks we can bring it back outside. It is in a pot 13" H with a 14" diameter. Do I need to re-pot it? Can I simply stare feeding it? If so, when do I start? any help is appreciated. TY
Mark

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
You get a lot colder than I do but we still get hard freezes here in N.C. I keep mine in our garage which is kept at 40 degrees F during the winter. I seldom water it because it is pretty much dormant. The first week in April I will bring it outside in the shade and water it heavily. After 2 weeks it will go out in the sunshine on its trellis. I won’t fertilize it until I see new growth and leaves. I cut it back in the fall just enough to remove it from the trellis.

mvona

The butler
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm going to follow your lead and take it out on my shaded deck in May. I will start to feed it at that time. Then move it to it's "permanent place" in the front of the house in June where it gets some afternoon sun. Thank You for the reply.

Ask a Question