How to approach fixing a weedy yard?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
United States
Bought my first home and while the front yard isn’t bad, the back yard is a bit of a nightmare. The back yard used to be mostly trees that the previous owner cut down for a more true backyard. However, no effort was put into the grass and it is pretty weed heavy What is the best way to approach fixing this and having the lush lawn of my dreams?

For weeds it is largely clover and dandelions. I have considered hitting the lawn with a weed and feed...then going back to the bigger bare spots (post weed eradication) with a little top dressing plus seeding it. I live in Zone 4 (WI) so I’m not concerned with getting the grass to grow as the summeraren’t that hot. I may be watering more than I’d have to in the fall, but the new grass should be fine in the summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would spray it a few times with weed b gone or something similar to get the weeds down , before I started feeding the grass

Ask a Question