How sparse should a tomato plant be?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
my plants are growing fast and apparently strong, some have reached 5 feet tall with a tie at roughly 2 feet. I've trimmed leaves and branches from the bottom of them 12 to 18 inches depending on current height.

My question is about higher up leaves. The plants are very full, I'm worried maybe too full and shading each other too much. I'm concerned that the leaves may get wet and not dry adequately.

Variety is probably a factor in this im sure, some may like to be thinner and others not. I have Amish paste, grape, lemon boy, early girl, pink girl and a few unknown from last year.

I probably planted too close together but went with the 2 foot spacing that has worked in the past. I'll need to rethink that for next year after yall have guided me on how to improve my soil. I've never had plants this hearty!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Don't worry about chopping a few leaves off, its the right time of year to let some light and air in to help the tomatoes to ripen :)

We grew them much closer together last year in pots and had a huge yield, still eating dried ones :eek::D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I guess I'm worried about it because we're supposed to have rain daily this week. I have had to fight fungus problems a few years ago.

My plants are just starting to bear fruit, probably a couple weeks until anything gets harvested.

I think I'll thin the leaves a little but before that I'll try spreading the stalks by moving some stakes and timing them up.

Ask a Question