How soon can I harvest sunflower seeds?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a volunteer sunflower that grew under my window bird feeder. At first I was a little surprised, I have always thought they grew just one flower, but this one grew ten! It makes perfect sense, the companies that grow sunflowers to sell as bird seed are going to try to get the most product out of the smallest space...

0717160807Sun.jpg

What makes me especially happy about this flower is that it has brought me new visitors.

20160802_131954M.jpg

I do not grudge these birds the seeds. I've been trying to attract American goldfinches to my feeders for a few years now, and they have never before been enticed by any of my offerings. I have since hung a thistle feeder, and they've found it, too. Hopefully I can keep them coming to the yard.

I would like to save some of the seeds to grow next year. I've looked at that main flower, and they seem to be eating the newer seeds. There is a row of seeds around the outer edge of the flower that are turning black. Can I pluck them now? Should I just wait until the flower dies off, and hope the birds leave me a couple?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wow cool.

Well, I have occasional volunteer sunflowers from birdseed but none have ever performed that well. So I just let the birds eat everything, and they do. :)

I'd save some of the darker/older ones. Or, years ago, I bought some sunflower seeds to plant, some giant variety. They got over 12' tall with multiple flowers over a foot in diameter. The birds went nuts, and it was whatever a pack of seeds cost...under $2.00?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
...I have occasional volunteer sunflowers from birdseed but none have ever performed that well...
:ROFLMAO: It's only 4' tall!!

I'll probably buy a pack of some giant variety for next year, and still plant some seeds from this one. Can't explain it really, but I get a weird satisfaction out of growing the seeds from the seeds from the plants that I have planted. :LOL: It makes them mine, somehow...

Do you think I could pluck them out now? Or wait a week or two? From what I've read online, I should wait at least until all the petals have fallen off the flower.

It is as my mother always told me: "MaryMary, patience is a virtue. Unfortunately, it is not one of yours." :ROFLMAO:

Ask a Question