How much damage does a power washer do to your lawn?

Reaction score
United States and at times out of country
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
I power washed the back deck today because we are getting ready to re-stain it. It was my first time using one and so I cut holes into some of the grass when I lost control due to pressure power. I am hoping the grass will just grow back but I was wondering if anyone has any experience in this area. What do you think I should do? Leave it alone or put something on it to help?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I power washed the back deck today because we are getting ready to re-stain it. It was my first time using one and so I cut holes into some of the grass when I lost control due to pressure power. I am hoping the grass will just grow back but I was wondering if anyone has any experience in this area. What do you think I should do? Leave it alone or put something on it to help?
The grass will grow back in no time from being blasted. I just hope you weren't using any chemical cleaners while you were water blasting you deck

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Don't worry, I'm sure that your lawn will look good again soon. I've never used a power washer, but I have a dog who digs holes everywhere and grass always grows back after a few weeks:)

Reaction score
It will most likely grow, so don't worry! If they don't then can just plant a few seeds, wouldn't worry about it that much. Just try to be more careful next time ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
The grass will grow back in no time from being blasted. I just hope you weren't using any chemical cleaners while you were water blasting you deck

No chemicals were used, we only power washed it with water. I was wondering if I should have though since we are re-staining (hopefully today). I read that it takes 48 hours to dry and so have been waiting for that time frame to be over before I went onto the next step. In the meantime, it has dried nicely but it seems like there are spots that still have some stain so I was wondering if I should re-do them.

Reaction score
No chemicals were used, we only power washed it with water. I was wondering if I should have though since we are re-staining (hopefully today). I read that it takes 48 hours to dry and so have been waiting for that time frame to be over before I went onto the next step. In the meantime, it has dried nicely but it seems like there are spots that still have some stain so I was wondering if I should re-do them.
Maybe leave off the staining for a few days, just to be sure? You wouldn't want to risk it realy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
Just an update for the sake of the post and future readers: the grass seems to be fine and we have had hot weather all last week. Now we are getting heavy rains and I'm sure that will help. We are doing the front deck which is much smaller and I'm going to have to be more careful because it reaches my mothers garden area which has won awards in the neighborhood. If I end up hitting her Hydrangeas she is going to power wash my face!

Reaction score
It shouldn't be long before it grows back, if you water it daily for maybe 5-10 minutes then before no time the patches should be gone and the grass will grow back.

Ask a Question