How many plants can I have?

Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
Hello,

I love indoor plants and recently got a possibility to start with my own indoor garden in my new appartement. As I do not have much experience with plants, I'd like to get an advise on how many plants can I have. I love such types of plants as Yucca, Bonsai, Dracaena, Peace lily and I'd love to have as many of them as I can. I was thinking to start with 10 plants and then grow more and more. But considering that I have full time job and sometimes am absent on weekends, I have doubts I will handle it well and my plants will be happy. Would anyone be kind to help with an estimation of approximately how much time per week one spends on 10-15 plants of types I wrote earlier?

Thanks a lot for any advice!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to our forums @Genia :) My advice to you would be to firstly read up about the various plants you are interested in, and start off with just one or two of the ones that are easiest to grow. There is no point in trying to run before you can walk!
Choose the plants that fit in with your home environment, and make sure you understand the requirement for those plants first.
Add to your collection slowly, first making sure you are happy with the ones you already have.
Otherwise, without experience, there is always the danger of losing lots of plants and lots of money, which could put you off growing them for life !!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The size of pots, season, temperature and types of plants determine the time involved in watering, trimming and general care of plants. I used to only spend one day a week caring for house plants. Now with an expanded collection both indoors and out I check on plants regularly but with planning can leave for the week with plants still happy on my return. Remember that the size of plants can also limit the number you have room for.

Ask a Question