How Many Indoor Plants do You Have?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Our indoor plant is the welcome plant. It has soft leaves similar to water lily. I think it is a relative of the lily. What's good in the welcome plant is that it can last for a week inside the house, and sometimes even longer. It is easy to grow like what we do with ginger - get a stem with a root and that's it. Welcome plant is the name because it is best to be placed by the doorway.
A welcome plant is a lovely idea. :love: I just googled it but there were a couple of varieties, What does yours look like Corzhens? Could you post a photo? think I'd like to find one for my front door. Maybe we could start a forum welcome plant theme.(y):love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
have 9 of them. some out on the deck sunning themselves . do want to get rid of half of them. I yell at them, die, die, die. but they do not die. Did kill my ficus tree I had for 20 years, it grew 20 foot tall, hit the ceiling in the garden room, took up too much space. Put it out for its last summer then left it out to get snowed on and it died, moved it to the burn pile, now its all burnt. Only really like a few of them, but some will not die. have taken some to the office they don't die there either. so every fall have to bring them in and re-arrange the room form them before frost, so the frost does not kill them. I am not sure if I will remember all of them this year. Some may want to experience snow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
have 9 of them. some out on the deck sunning themselves . do want to get rid of half of them. I yell at them, die, die, die. but they do not die. Did kill my ficus tree I had for 20 years, it grew 20 foot tall, hit the ceiling in the garden room, took up too much space. Put it out for its last summer then left it out to get snowed on and it died, moved it to the burn pile, now its all burnt. Only really like a few of them, but some will not die. have taken some to the office they don't die there either. so every fall have to bring them in and re-arrange the room form them before frost, so the frost does not kill them. I am not sure if I will remember all of them this year. Some may want to experience snow.
Beanie and scarf for your plants unless of course you are saying "die, die, die" Esther!:ROFLMAO:maybe even skis. No that's silly. A toboggan would be more practical.
I cut back my potted olive tree last year under instruction from my local nursery owner to about 15cm or 6". It looked terrible and I was horrified. I draped the nearby passionfruit vine over it but I had a real urge to put a beanie and scarf around it till it grew back. Took a few months but now looking healthy so Sebastion was right. I don't think I could be so severe again though.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
A welcome plant is a lovely idea. :love: I just googled it but there were a couple of varieties, What does yours look like Corzhens? Could you post a photo? think I'd like to find one for my front door. Maybe we could start a forum welcome plant theme.(y):love:

Our welcome plant was given to me by a maintenance woman of our old office building. It was more than 10 years ago. She said that it is a welcome plant that would bring good luck to our house when I place it in the doorway. So that's what I did. And the welcome plant is prolific such that we now replant them in plastic pots for giveaways to friends.

Here is our welcome plant in the terrace before replanting.....
IMG_4142 welcome plant.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
In Victorian Britain, a pineapple was the symbol for welcome; that's why so many of our bars are named this, but its symbolism dates back much further, to Colonial Americas.
Your plant, Corzhens, the way its branches open out, is like welcoming arms, and very beautiful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Here is one of them. This is Queen's Tears. It blooms in December /January. Now out on the deck just getting thicker and thicker. Anyone want a hunk that lives near enough I am willing to pull it out of the pot and chop at it. It is very tough plant. You split it like you would a hosta, just a good wack through it with a shovel, then put the hunks in pots with soil around and move on. And that is Phantom, one of our 6 cats, weighing 17 lbs, he is about 10 years old. When I mention my garden room, this is the room. It has 9 windows around. And two peeked widows in the two arches above.
phantom-queens tears..jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Here is one of them. This is Queen's Tears. It blooms in December /January. Now out on the deck just getting thicker and thicker. Anyone want a hunk that lives near enough I am willing to pull it out of the pot and chop at it. It is very tough plant. You split it like you would a hosta, just a good wack through it with a shovel, then put the hunks in pots with soil around and move on. And that is Phantom, one of our 6 cats, weighing 17 lbs, he is about 10 years old. When I mention my garden room, this is the room. It has 9 windows around. And two peeked widows in the two arches above. View attachment 8372
Love the Queen's Tears. Looks very healthy and well fed, just like Phantom. What a lovely room,too!:) I don't have a garden room but my verandah suffices except for the real winter months.
image.jpg
Sam doesn't seem to mind the winter chill!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Love the Queen's Tears. Looks very healthy and well fed, just like Phantom. What a lovely room,too!:) I don't have a garden room but my verandah suffices except for the real winter months.View attachment 8391 Sam doesn't seem to mind the winter chill!

Oh, I see you bought a couch to match your cat, also. (is it a Russian Blue?)
Got my couch to match two of my cats. (not brothers) Teddy on the left, Twitches on the right.
couch cats.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
L
Oh, I see you bought a couch to match your cat, also. (is it a Russian Blue?)
Got my couch to match two of my cats. (not brothers) Teddy on the left, Twitches on the right.
View attachment 8392
Lovely pigeon pair Esther. Sam is actually a Nebelung which is a long haired variety of the Russian Blue, and means "creatures of the mist" in German because of their shimmering fur. My son got Sam and Fancy as rescue cats at different times. They have really lovely temperaments, not a tad obnoxious like my beautiful Pearl who has had to cope with a lot really with 2 cats and a big dog moving in after all.;) And thanks heavens they match!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
it is interesting to roam around a cat breed site to see how many are around. (I know if we continue this, it should be on the pet thread----oh well). When I am in Key West, the multi toe cats live at the Hemmingway house and gardens. And, when I can, and it is close, its nice to walk through a "cat fancy" club showing.

Reaction score

Why do you want to get rid of them? You could simply give them away ;) That is what I did with the plants I wanted to get rid of this and last year (I'll be moving out soon that is why I wanted to get rid of them). My mom threw away my calla lilies :( and that broke my heart because I wanted to give those as a special gift to someone who has been very sick.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Why do you want to get rid of them? You could simply give them away ;) That is what I did with the plants I wanted to get rid of this and last year (I'll be moving out soon that is why I wanted to get rid of them). My mom threw away my calla lilies :( and that broke my heart because I wanted to give those as a special gift to someone who has been very sick.
Sweetie when you get to a certain age, less is more. Tired of too much stuff. Your not at that age now. I am clearing out lots of stuff. If the plant does not bloom inside nice, or smell good, out it goes, that is just the way it is.

Your mom probably is at that age.

Reaction score
Sweetie when you get to a certain age, less is more. Tired of too much stuff. Your not at that age now. I am clearing out lots of stuff. If the plant does not bloom inside nice, or smell good, out it goes, that is just the way it is.

Your mom probably is at that age.

Ah, that explains why she seems to feel the urge to throw a lot things she was no longer wearing, I applaud her for that :) I plan to do the same when I move out ;) Hehehe, sorry if I sounded a bit nose, I was just curious why you were doing that :oops: Made no sense to me at the moment, but now it does (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Ah, that explains why she seems to feel the urge to throw a lot things she was no longer wearing, I applaud her for that :) I plan to do the same when I move out ;) Hehehe, sorry if I sounded a bit nose, I was just curious why you were doing that :oops: Made no sense to me at the moment, but now it does (y)
Trellum, your not nose at all, ask, if you cross the line I would have told you, LOL.
See it helped you understand your mom more. It is an interesting mental change that we women go through with age, after menopause etc. Also right now I am in the I do not give a dam phase, and I am not putting up with that anymore phase. If you mom is close to my age, or getting there you should see some of those signs. Its not that we rant and rave daily, we just roll our eyes more and don't let it bother us, (at least that is me). By the way, treasure your mom, it is so sweet you still have one, I lost mine when I was 13 years old. So I had lots to learn from other older women I be-friended, looking back, just hope I friended the right ones, but too late, moving on now.

Ask a Question