How many hours of Indoor lighting for seedlings after germination

RoK

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 6A
Country
United States
I can't seem to find this information anywhere... After seedlings have germinated and develop their first true leaves, does one leave the lights on for the same 16 or so hours? Or should you reduce the hours of light to mimic what is really happening outside? I have a lot of early flowering with my tomatoes, tomatillos and eggplants.

I really hope someone can answer this question!!! Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm a little late with the answer to your question. Always mimic Mother Nature the best you can by using the photoperiod to mimic Spring, Summer, and Fall. Starting plants in Spring would be best at 12 hrs on and 12 hrs off. Then increase the hours to 16 on and 8 off for summer. Some people like to run their lights for 20 on and 4 off for explosive Summer vegetative growth. After a few months of growing long period, it's time to mimic Fall, so reduce the lights back to 12 on and 12 off. The Fall photoperiod will trigger flowering and end the year.

Ask a Question