How long does it last?

Reaction score
Gardening season itself is only a few months long really, but how long does your produce last you once it starts coming in?

As in, do you eat things straight from the plants and when they're done producing, that's that? Do you have some that last a few weeks after picking them, like squashes? Or do you freeze or dehydrate any of them so that they last through the winter months, too?

Reaction score
We used to make guava cheese and jelly. Mango pulp is dried and preserved for the whole years consumption. Vegetables are pickled to last through the year.
I personally love dry mango preserve from our mango trees at my parents home. The fruit as well as the green unripe mango would be cut, sun dried and stored. These would make awesome chutneys and curries through the year.
Mom made the Jam and squashes too. But they would never last long, my brothers would take care of that very well.
We never grew pineapples, but would buy them in huge quantities, peel, cut sundry and preserve them to be eaten later as they are or to be added into some dishes.
Now, you have got me so hungry thinking of those goodies.

Reaction score
Guava cheese? I had never heard of this at all.

I just googled it and images like this popped up:

guava%20cheese.jpg

Is this right? It looks like a candy?

Reaction score
My produce doesn't last longer than a month. I eat it as it comes in. I use my tomatoes on salad, tacos, in salsa etc. I really want enough to can some tomato sauce and make a few jars of salsa. The lettuce and blueberries are usually used the same day. Jalapenos and cucumbers last a few days. Next summer I am going to plant way more so I can freeze and can some.

Reaction score
That guava look interesting. I've never scene anything like it...is it sweet or savoury?

The produce that I get I mostly use up as it comes in other than the zucchinis. Those things sprout faster than I can pick them! Even the neighbours are sick of them by the end of the season. Lol.

Jed

Reaction score
Potatoes and garlic are good for long term storing. Garlic is plaited and hung from our higher ceiling in the kitchen. If it's stored slightly above 10C it stays in good condition for as long as 8 months. Potatoes are stored in a dark cool airy cellar for 6 to 8 months but I found these days I need to check from time to time to see if any are rotting. Other vegies we pick when we need them and this can extend the period of availability but of course it's seasonal and short lived.
We have made jam, preserves and wine in the past but not as much these days.

Reaction score
Oh, that's a good point about potatoes. It has been years since I've planted potatoes. They really do store well if you do it correctly. And better yet, if you let them sprouts eyes, then you can replant them the follow year, too.

Jed

Reaction score
Oh, that's a good point about potatoes. It has been years since I've planted potatoes. They really do store well if you do it correctly. And better yet, if you let them sprouts eyes, then you can replant them the follow year, too.
Here I am on the forum and should be out there planting my last row of potatoes. I plant them this late to beat the dreaded frosts we get in late spring early summer. My favourite potato is the pinkeye which really has purple eyes.
It's a yellow waxy spud with plenty of flavour.I think it's a Tasmanian variety.
images

Reaction score
I grow greens such as collard and chard and kale, these I clean and freeze. I can get a whole year worth of greens minus the spinach of course, frozen in my freezer for my green smoothies. I can tomatoes plain and also make chili sauce (I use for sloppy joes) and regular chili, plus green tomato ketchup, however we use this on tacos, yummmmmm, Onions will store for me through most of the winter, then I dehydrate them when I see I am running out of time. When my strawberries are producing I pick those, clean and freeze as well for my smoothies, green caps and all. Peppers I chop up and freeze in ice cube trays then put them in a freezer bag, easy for recipes. I grew a lot of corn last year and froze that, I used some of that in my Taco soup that I canned this year to get some of the meat (bunny) out of my freezer to make room for the beef we had processed. Made me tired just typing that....

Jed

Reaction score
Are they a low starch potato like a red?
Pinkeye potatoes are definitely low starch and are consider waxy potatoes.
They're good for boiling and the water remains relatively clear. They're great for salads and fine for baking.
They're not so good a chips/french fries.

Reaction score
I freeze things right off the plant. While the weather is still nice and the plants are still producing, I just pluck things off the plant and add them to my food. I do have to freeze things though to ensure that we'll have some home-grown things to enjoy during the winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I always try to freeze as many of my vegetables as possible. Of course most of them disappear right away when they're fresh because this is when they're the most delicious, but still - I always have something hidden in my freezer especially for winter when I miss my yummy vegetables and my garden the most.

Reaction score
I also freeze and can to make our vegetables last all year. I've always frozen peas and corn, but I've recently learned how to pressure can. This year I did peas, black beans, and green beans. I'm really excited about learning to can other vegetables and soups. I'd really encourage everyone to learn to can - it not only frees up space in the freezer, but you also don't have to worry about loosing food if the power goes out (or your freezer quits).

Reaction score
I agree canning is a wonderful thing to do for your family. I know the chili I canned has no chemicals or additives, just plain good for us, plus you get to make things the way you like. Take tomatoes, I like to can them with hot peppers and garlic maybe some with basil added, just so much better in my recipes that way.

Ask a Question