How likely are slugs to eat seedlings?

Reaction score
So right now we have a windowsill housing several different types of seedlings (mostly veg). The only trouble is we tend to get a lot of slugs coming through from the outside. In the past slugs have tended to overlook our seedlings, but I'm wondering if this was because there were bigger plants available to them. My question is, now that they only have seedlings available, are they likely to go for those instead? We really don't have many slug free spaces left!

Thank you :)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Reaction score
Considering what conspicuous consumers of other plants that they are, tender seedlings would probably be a nice snack for them. Pats recommendation for the article is a good one, hope you get a chance to read it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh how I hate slugs...and spiders. I have a Rhody bush on the back patio of my place and I noticed a little seedling starting to pop up last week. I went to check on it last night and noticed that the slugs have been chewing on it. I was so mad as I was actually going to transplant this seedling. We have had a lot of rain recently and so there have been quite a few slugs hanging around.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I think sometimes I underestimate them...

You'd think that I'd be able to escape them inside my house but no. They get literally everywhere. We've even had several on our ceiling. I don't understand how they have so much stamina!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks everyone! I think sometimes I underestimate them...

You'd think that I'd be able to escape them inside my house but no. They get literally everywhere. We've even had several on our ceiling. I don't ?understand how they have so much stamina!
It is unusual for slugs to be inside a home unless they are reproducing inside the home. Do you have any houseplants in which they can reproduce in the soil? In a situation such as yours, if the slugs are in fact coming in from the outside, there are 2 organic fixes. The first is SluggoPlus which is made from iron phosphate and is harmless to people and pets. The second is to spray beneficial nematodes all around your house and the lawns and garden. If they are coming in from outside there has to be openings for them to crawl through. Find the entrance and caulk it. It should be easy as slugs and snails leave a shiny trail where ever they go.

Ask a Question