How far should I space my mint?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I have these mints that I'm trying to root. It is just an average mint--single stemmed. How far should I keep them apart in a container?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
How big is the container you want to use, one start will fill a 5 gal. container in no time, I use 2 gal pots with the bottoms cut out, I plant pot and mint in the ground so about 5 inches of the pot is above the soil. It helps to keep them mint from spreading like crazy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mint is notorious for self seeding so they will multiply to out of control in a short time. At our old home, mint literary took over the entire area and keeping me busy pulling them. I don't think you will have problem plant them either with little space between or not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
One question. How does mint grow? Does it grow like basil where is just adds to the top of the plant? How does it spread? Does it add runners?

Reaction score
Country
Lebanon
you do not need to worry about how far from each other to plant mint, they will just cover ever where they can get to to the point that you will not be able to see they ground under them.
mints grow in different ways, the first is that when the plant get big enough it will hold small flowers which contain seeds and when they fall they will grow as a new plant.
the second way is when a plant grow near the ground and while your watering or its raining a part of the plant will get a little under the ground cause of the weight of the water and with time the part under the ground will have roots and become a new plant.

Ask a Question