How do you train a grape vine?

Reaction score
We inherited several old, untidy grape vines when we moved house and now they are starting to sprout everywhere. I have cut off the shoots that are growing out of the base, but what else should I take off or rather how much should I leave on? A lot of the shoots are staring to develop grapes - should I leave all these, or will it produce better quality grapes if there are less of them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
When I was growing up, my folks had a trellis out in the ack yard, and they just let the grape vines ramble around on the trellis.
I have read that what you are supposed to do is let it get to almost the top of the trellis, and then you cut the top, and the branches can be trained to go sideways, and it will grow to the sides instead of climbing up.
I think if you already have grapes coming on your vines, that it might be too late to prune them any more this year, but you can probably find some really good tutorials on pruning grapes, if you check out YouTube .

Ask a Question