How do you pick just a few?

Reaction score
How do you pick just a few things to plant each year?

I am going to be starting a garden this spring and I have so many things I want to plan. However, I know that I cannot handle too much my first year gardening. So, how do you choose just a few things to plant?

Reaction score
I would suggest going with the foods you eat the most of. Or ones that you can freeze for later.

For example, we always plant tomatoes no matter what. We all eat them, love them in salads, etc. Then when we get overwhelmed by them, I can turn them all into pasta sauce and freeze it for later on.

Reaction score
We do the same, Jessi. I also love the smell and the fact that they don't need that much care.
I think you should start by planting things that don't require a lot of attention. Then you can move on to the hard stuff.

Reaction score
I agree with the others. The main things to plant are things you're going to enjoy. I always plant at least tomatoes and cucumbers as I love those and they are fairly easy to take care of. I also like growing herbs, especially basil and mint, although you have to be real careful with mint, as it can overtake your garden easily.

Reaction score
I also like growing herbs, especially basil and mint, although you have to be real careful with mint, as it can overtake your garden easily.

Herbs are a good one, too.

I don't actually put those in my garden ever, though, I grow herbs in planters in my windowsill. There's no real way of them overrunning anything that way, except themselves in the same pot, I guess.

Reaction score
I had the same issue last year, and I'll probably have the same issue again this year :p. Picking what to plant is complicated, especially if your space is limited. I agree with planting what you can freeze and what you'd enjoy more. But honestly, I picked at random, and was very glad with my selections. I thought of it this way, if you're going to be planting some things next year, it doesn't really matter what you plant this year because what doesn't make the cut, can go in line for next time.

Reaction score
. But honestly, I picked at random, and was very glad with my selections. I thought of it this way, if you're going to be planting some things next year, it doesn't really matter what you plant this year because what doesn't make the cut, can go in line for next time.

So what did you end up picking this year then? And what got left out that you'll use next year?

I do like the bit of randomness to it. I would probably still pick my staple items like tomatoes.... and then would flip a coin or draw bits of pieces out of a hat in order to choose the variable ones.

Reaction score
We also have peppers, beside tomatoes. You can make some vegetable beds for celery, onions and carrots. Begin with just few and take it from there.

Jed

Reaction score
I would plant potatoes, garlic and silver beet and if you have warm climate tomatoes, zuchinis and cucumber.You must have a preference for your vegetables?

Reaction score
I have the same problem! Only because there are just so many veggies I want to plant, I want some of everything! I even made a list of a bunch of different tomato varieties I want to grow. Maybe if you're like me and want some of everything and can't really choose, you can just sort of randomly pick some out. Go to the store and pick out some plants or packets of seeds, or go to a website that you can buy seeds/plants on and buy some. Your options will be limited a bit by whatever the store has available so perhaps that will make it easier for you.

Reaction score
I have the same problem! Only because there are just so many veggies I want to plant, I want some of everything!

If space or time is a concern, you could always collaborate with your neighbors or family/friends. We have a friend of the family who always plants way too many tomatoes because he wants some of several different kinds. He can't possibly eat them all himself, but he's not willing to cut down on it either, so everyone else is expected to come by and pick some for themselves so they don't go bad.

Well in exchange, other people bring him zucchinis or cucumbers, etc. That way he doesn't have to plant those and they don't have to plant tomatoes....but everyone has more than enough to go around.

Reaction score
If space or time is a concern, you could always collaborate with your neighbors or family/friends. We have a friend of the family who always plants way too many tomatoes because he wants some of several different kinds. He can't possibly eat them all himself, but he's not willing to cut down on it either, so everyone else is expected to come by and pick some for themselves so they don't go bad.

Well in exchange, other people bring him zucchinis or cucumbers, etc. That way he doesn't have to plant those and they don't have to plant tomatoes....but everyone has more than enough to go around.​
I wish I could do that but I don't really know anyone that gardens. I do get fruit - loquats, oranges, pindo palm fruit, grapefruits, tangerines and figs off neighbor's trees though, they don't eat them. And hopefully soon some other palm fruit...I'm thinking that it's queen palm fruit, which is edible, I think.​
But I do have a fairly big yard so hopefully I can grow a good large variety of veggies, fruits and other edibles.

Reaction score
Aww, bummer. Maybe you should encourage some of your friends to take up gardening next year then, hehe. At least you're lucky to get so many fruits! I don't have anybody that has fruit trees whatsoever. And it takes years to grow your own large enough to finally be fruitful, so it's not like I can simply plant some this year and then be able to enjoy them.

Reaction score
Aww, bummer. Maybe you should encourage some of your friends to take up gardening next year then, hehe. At least you're lucky to get so many fruits! I don't have anybody that has fruit trees whatsoever. And it takes years to grow your own large enough to finally be fruitful, so it's not like I can simply plant some this year and then be able to enjoy them.

You're right but think about the satisfaction you have when you can sit and relax under your full grown tree. Raising your hand and reaching a fruit... It's worth all the hard work.

Reaction score
So what did you end up picking this year then? And what got left out that you'll use next year?

I do like the bit of randomness to it. I would probably still pick my staple items like tomatoes.... and then would flip a coin or draw bits of pieces out of a hat in order to choose the variable ones.

Well, I had to compromise because my boyfriend had his own idea of what we would be planting this year, but we tried sunflowers, carrots, lettuce, corn and broccoli. Next year, we'll be trying corn again, probably more carrots, tomatoes and maybe even some potatoes. But I did really want to try some soy beans or even mung beans this year but I didn't have space for them, I think I'll include them next year :D

Ask a Question