How do you feel about gmo?

Reaction score
The seeds are now in the stores. I am still trying to decide if we are going to pay a bit more and get seeds that are GMO free. I know that there are sites that will tell me the seeds I can get at the stores that are GMO free but it might be easier to just order them from a site that has a GMO policy to begin with. I feel like this is something important to me and my family. The hubby doesn't care as much as long as its cheap.

How do you feel about GMO seeds?

Reaction score
I myself seek out GMO free everything to the extent I can, and certainly including seeds. I am not sure how much good it really does but at least it registers my opinion in the marketplace. I am not in favor of genetic modification of this type, at all. And I should probably stop right there before I get into a rant. ;)

Reaction score
I think it's perfectly safe and worldwide use of GMO has helped to feed millions of people and saved lives. I haven't seen any convincing science against the stuff but I know for a fact it has increased crop yields and kept people from starving.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I have mixed feelings about it to be honest. On one hand I always prefer everything that is natural - it just always seems like a better choice. On the other hand, I feel sometimes it's good to trust the science - if we didn't, our life would be so hard. So I don't know.

Reaction score
I don't care too much for Genetically modified food.. I never buy them. I seek out the natural or organic for food. We have done enough damage to our eco system tampering with nature.. I would like to go back to the roots and go really green.

Reaction score
I like heirloom varieties, they taste better and I think are better for you. I don't want to waste my time growing a tomato when it tastes as bad as store bought, no thanks. So for me, NON-GMO is the way to go.

Reaction score
The GMO thing has me scared that we wont be able to get non GMO seeds soon. I dont want a seed that will survive Roundup applications. I dont want to ingest roundup my self. We are super poor this year. Economy has hit us hard. I know that having a great garden is a good way to help this but every step along the way seems so expensive. I think I need to learn to save my seeds from year to year and make sure I buy good ones in the first place.

Reaction score
Last year I bought a decent collection of non-GMO seeds off Ebay, I think they called it a survival pack, it cost me like 14 dollars for a LOT of heirloom seeds, something to think about. I didn't come close to planting all of them, and you can save seeds from them.

Reaction score
GMO seeds are easy to get, try seedsnow.com and seeds of change. They are not more expensive.

For those that feel GMO's are fine, and are helping to feed the world, please, look into it more. It is not increasing production, it is merely creating a dependence on Monsanto for seeds and round up, and it is what is killing off the bees. GMO's are nothing more than a greedy corporations need to have even more money, control the entire food chain, and politicians willing to see our heath and that of the planets for campaign contributions.

Research shows that lab animals fed GMO foods couldn't reproduce after the 3rd generation, and it causes cancer and inflammatory diseases.

A good place to start is at http://www.responsibletechnology.org/gmo-education and to watch the documentary "geneticroulette"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Personally, I'm somewhat neutral/on the fence about it. The reason why is most of the neigh-saying relies on suspect science. I can understand the desire to be very cautious in this area, but a lot of the wilder claims regarding their dangers are not backed up by good data. Some have even been thoroughly debunked by real, independent research published in peer-reviewed publications.

Reaction score
The whole situation with the GMOs really worries me, so there is no way I'd openly buy (fully knowing) that the seeds I'm buying are actually GMOs. It's scary, but I think most of the veggies we buy from the store are actually GMOs and that's quite worrisome! I remember back when all this was starting in my country, they were debating whether or not start buying GMO corn. They said it was so bad fr our health, etc. How come nowadays is acceptable to consume it and is sold almost everywhere now?

Reaction score
I feel that GMOs are coming on too fast. I am all for the idea of improved foods, but I don't like that were are going to be seeing them everywhere and that we may not know if it is or is not GMO. Nahum has a point, many of the concerns are not justified, but many of the long term effects will not be known until the long term has elapsed.

For those growing from seed, some of the GMO products are engineered to produce sterile seeds in the second generation. This means that you wont be able to collect a few beans and plant them the next year. I don't know what percentage falls into this category but they are out there.

So, for me, I want to know if something is GMO or not and I want to still have the option of non-GMO at least for a long enough period of time that we can reasonable say that there are no-long term effects.

Reaction score
March.jpg
Worldwide event, March 24th find an event near you
http://bit.ly/1gCpTgf

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I don't believe that GMO seeds should be used. Unfortunately a large part of our food supply is GMO. GMO plants that are resistant to herbicides are taking those herbicides up into the plants and then we are consuming them. Studies that are coming out are not favorable. Research has not been conclusive one way or another, but there is some pretty troubling news. Some say that 60-70% of our food in the US contains GMO. Ninety percent of corn planted is GMO (this means corn syrup, corn starch, etc) and most non cane sugar. Here is a list of ten common foods we consume

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2013/11/21/foods-give-up-avoid-eating-gmo/#!slide=1585612

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2013/08/what-are-gmos-and-why-should-i-care

Ask a Question