How do you Dry your herbs?

Reaction score
I know there are many ways to dry herbs, and I was curious how you all do it. I want to see which method is really good as well, because I want to start drying my herbs too and not have to worry about buying them and possibly giving some to friends and family as gifts or something. I am quite curious and would love to know how everyone dries their herbs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I know there are many ways to dry herbs, and I was curious how you all do it. I want to see which method is really good as well, because I want to start drying my herbs too and not have to worry about buying them and possibly giving some to friends and family as gifts or something. I am quite curious and would love to know how everyone dries their herbs
I dry mine one of 3 ways. In the oven if I have just baked something in it. Or in my dehydrator which I usually do or in a large paper sack twisted tight and hung up somewhere out of the way. After dried I put them in a vacuum bag and freeze.

Reaction score

Although herbs can be preserved in many ways - I normally choose to preserve my herbs both by freezing them in ice cubes and by drying them - however my preference in for freezing most of my herbs in ice cubes - as apart from the fact that I like to be able to use my herbs all year round in exactly the same way as I would if they were picked straight from the plant - they also retain their full flavor.

If you wish to dry your herbs - one of the preferred methods of drying herbs is to dry them inside in an area that receives good light as well as good air circulation - mainly because herbs that are dried inside retain their color and have much more flavor than those that have been dried outside - due to the fact that herbs that have been fast dried outside in sunlight - more often than not results in the herbs losing all their color as well as a lot of their flavor.

So I don't think you would go to far wrong if you were to dry your herbs inside as suggested - so long as you remember not to make the bunches too big - as that can cause the herbs to go moldy.

Reaction score
I have two ways of doing them. The first is that I tie them in bunches and hang them up in a shaded section of the garage. The other way is that I lay them in the trays that hold the annuals; they trays do have openings that allow air to circulate around the drying herbs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's really easy. I always tie my herbs in bunches and leave them in the attic, because air circulation is the best there. I installed mosquito nets in all windows, so I don't have to worry about insects.
My mother usually dries her herbs in a special dehydrator, it's a really useful appliance.

Ask a Question