How do these looks?

Reaction score
Hi!

This is my first year attempting to grow vegetables in a raised bed.

I have attached a few photos. Left is Carmen Italian Pepper, middle is Husky Cherry Red Tomato, and right is Little Napoli Tomato. Do these look ok to you guys?

Carmen Italian Pepper.jpgHusky Cherry Red Tomato.jpgLittle Napoli Tomato.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
You may have them planted a little to deep in the soil except the tomato is ok. You can remove the top inch or two of soil and mulch to fix it. Be careful not to over water when you water. Use you finger to feel the soil every time before you water. Let the top couple of inches dry well before watering. They are looking good for a starter garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi!

This is my first year attempting to grow vegetables in a raised bed.

I have attached a few photos. Left is Carmen Italian Pepper, middle is Husky Cherry Red Tomato, and right is Little Napoli Tomato. Do these look ok to you guys?

View attachment 64890View attachment 64891View attachment 64892
The pepper and the first tomato need additional fertilization especially the tomato. The pepper's color is too light of green, it should be a darker green. It is showing first signs of becoming chlorotic. The second picture show definite chlorosis. It could be iron, nitrogen or just plain lack of many needed nutrients. The third picture shows a tomato that is the correct color in most of the leaves but on the new growth it shows a minor lack of nutrition, overall a nice plant but fertilization is needed. What are you fertilizing with and how often? And where are you located?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just did a soil test. PH is fine. But N,K and P are virtually nonexistent. What product would best remedy this situation? I thought the soil mix I used already had fertilizer but apparently no near enough.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just did a soil test. PH is fine. But N,K and P are virtually nonexistent. What product would best remedy this situation? I thought the soil mix I used already had fertilizer but apparently no near enough.
For plants with such a lack of nutrition as the first two plants, I would recommend Espoma Plant Tone because it has the highest nitrogen ratio of all the organic fertilizers that sell nation wide AFAIK. I would also give them bloodmeal for a quick boost.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Espoma Plant Tone are good choices, what I use is some plain ole poultry mix, and I think I paid $14 for a 40 pound bag at the feed store. A bag will last a year easy. Happy Gardening.

Attachments

• poulty mix.JPG
    poulty mix.JPG
    316.7 KB · Views: 142
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Woodash and urine.
Dilute the urine with ten parts water.
The fastest way to give nitrogen is to soak some herbivore dung in water for an hour, then soak the soil with the leechate.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Espoma Plant Tone are good choices, what I use is some plain ole poultry mix, and I think I paid $14 for a 40 pound bag at the feed store. A bag will last a year easy. Happy Gardening.

Oneeye...do you have a link for ordering some of that hot stuff. I can't seem to find it in my usual sources. Thanks.

Reaction score
Thanks all! My plants ready took off after adding in blood meal and the plant tone.
Over the late few days,though, I’ve noticed some more yellow leaves on the very bottom. See photos. Any thoughts? Or just add some more of the above?

114C4374-1EE5-40F3-9AD6-F5E447C8F2B8.jpegB3206650-1130-41DF-B1F1-5F58B8EAC126.jpegE81E4C53-1000-4B9D-A4DE-FF67BC42F5A9.jpeg63877FEE-2BD4-42C5-90CE-84D5468163B9.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks all! My plants ready took off after adding in blood meal and the plant tone.
Over the late few days,though, I’ve noticed some more yellow leaves on the very bottom. See photos. Any thoughts? Or just add some more of the above?

View attachment 66255View attachment 66256View attachment 66257View attachment 66258
Its been three weeks. In the first picture the tomato is at about 90%. To achieve 100% I would give it another shot of bloodmeal and a little more time. In the second picture the plant is just about the correct color with nothing major wrong but it will need another fertilization in a week or two. Don't worry about the old yellow leaf, pinch it off. Third picture looks great . The cotyledon leaves aren't important and will fall off in a day or two. On the last picture the plant looks good except for what appears to be early blight. This happens to many gardeners and it is caused by fungal spores splashing up on the lower leaves during rain or overhead watering. Just pinch them off as they form and place mulch around the base of the plant. One can usually postpone the effects of early blight long enough to harvest. You can try fungal sprays but once a plant is infected it is difficult to impossible to eliminate.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The yellow leaves are old leaves; there is nothing "wrong" with them, they've just come to the end.
Remove them for better air circulation, which discourages fungal infections, to your compost heap.

Ask a Question