How do I trim this Holly tree?

Reaction score
Hello all. I have linked to 2 photos of the tree below. What is the best way to trim this? I feel like it's gotten out of control. We've only lived here a year now and it just hasn't been a high priority. If best to do a major trimback, i'm ok with that as well. Thanks ahead of time for your advice!

https://flic.kr/p/nTF2HH

https://flic.kr/p/nTEZ18

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
What kind of look do you want? If you want to keep the natural look then it's best to do it by hand, but you will need to make sure you have some good protective equipment so you don't get too scratched! A pair of ladders and some long handled pruners would probably be all you need.

If you want a more rounded shape, then realistically you will need a hedge trimmer. It's possible to get this look with hand tools but it will take a lot longer!!

Whichever method you choose, take it down to the size you want and ideally pick a size that makes it more manageable in the future. You can take quite a lot off holly but I'd say no more than 40% to be safe. Spring/early summer is the best time to prune it.

Reaction score
We have bushes and trees and hubby normally trims ours in the summer and he just uses the average hedge clippers. Our bushes he keeps compact and boxed shaped. The tree he does not really mess with that much unless a limb dies and needs trimming off.

From the looks of your tree you could take quite a bit off of it.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Country
United States
  1. Inspect the holly for disease

Look for wounds on the tree trunk, which are a sign of a disease. While a mild infestation is treatable using an appropriate pesticide, consider removing any tree with a major infestation. Dispose of diseased debris in an appropriate manner to prevent infestation of other trees in the area.

2. Choose the most appropriate method for your species of holly
    Trim hollies that form a rounded crown and grow to at least 8 feet tall by limbing up, removing lower branches to form the bush into a tree. Trim conical hollies using hacktracking, a method that involves trimming all limbs by two-thirds, to reinforce the shrub's pyramidal shape.

3. Select the branches to trim
    Removing any branches growing upward or downward when limbing up, leaving those growing horizontally. Trim any damaged limbs and those that appear to be weak. Beginning at eye level, remove branches that cross and thin any dense growth to provide air circulation. Keep the lower branches longer than those above them.

Ask a Question