How do I grow kale seeds?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all!
I'm new to this site and super excited to be here! I grow many vegetables and herbs, but always from small plants that I've bought. I'm trying to grow more from seed now! I have begun growing some Siberian dwarf kale seeds (pic attached) and have some questions. I've read about the importance of thinning seedlings and I'd love more insight on how exactly to do that. I've also read that kale sprouts are good to eat so I'll do that too! so
Am I ready to thin these guys?
How many do I leave?
When should I move the mesh (not sure what they really are) containers into a bigger area of soil?
How far apart should I plant them when I do?
I think thats all for now :LOL: just want to keep these babies alive!!!
Thanks guys!

Attachments

• IMG_1809.jpg
    IMG_1809.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 111

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Welcome...Where are you located, i.e. growing zone?

Yes, those seedlings need thinning. Depending on your location, they can be set out into the garden or into larger containers. They will need to be thinned to about 12 inches between plants. Kale is fun to grow, very nutritious, and very tolerant of most things....except very hot temps.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome...Where are you located, i.e. growing zone?

Yes, those seedlings need thinning. Depending on your location, they can be set out into the garden or into larger containers. They will need to be thinned to about 12 inches between plants. Kale is fun to grow, very nutritious, and very tolerant of most things....except very hot temps.

Thank you for your response! I'm on the East coast in Charleston, SC which is zone 9a... which gets very hot in the summertime and is already in the 80s! Maybe this wasnt a great time to start trying to grow kale?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Kale does well in zone 9a, but I direct seed it into the garden in the fall, October or November. Most Kale can handle some minor sub freezing weather and generally does well all winter and into the spring. I pick kale leaves all winter and into the spring, the plants do well being pruned and no need to dig them up to harvest. I take my kale out in March to make room for other vegetables. I might lose another few weeks of production, but real estate in the garden goes to the ascendant vegetables, not ones on the way out. At some point, the heat and relatively hot nights will make kale decline.

Seems like the whole brassica group, kale, cabbage, broccoli types are not big on hot and humid weather, but on the flip side, those tend to thrive in our milder zone 9 fall/winter/early spring weather when much of the rest of the USA are shut out of growing vegetables unprotected outdoors.

In gardening, I think fighting against one’s climate is a recipe for misery. The good news is there are a number of things that do well in full summer heat even Zone 9 gulf and east coast hot and humid. Just not the Kale/Cabbage group veggies.

Malabar spinach and Amaranth are a couple of greens that thrive in heat. My buddy grows the vining spinach all summer and loves it. I’m testing Amaranth for the first time in a little spot. I direct seeded it and it has sprouted wonderfully, but is still tiny.

Ask a Question