How can I save my drowning snap peas?

ziskasun

A seed once sown never dies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hello everyone, I have a question. About 10 days ago I had a malfunction with my automatic drip watering system and one of my containers of snap peas and carrots got WAY over watered. There was so much water that it overflowed the container and there was standing water in the pot all the way up to the very top. I dumped out what I could but the dirt is so very saturated that it's been 10 days and the soil is still very wet. I've noticed the lowest leaves are turning yellow which makes me think the peas are dying, but I'm not really sure. Do you think there is a way I can save the plant? Any advice?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello everyone, I have a question. About 10 days ago I had a malfunction with my automatic drip watering system and one of my containers of snap peas and carrots got WAY over watered. There was so much water that it overflowed the container and there was standing water in the pot all the way up to the very top. I dumped out what I could but the dirt is so very saturated that it's been 10 days and the soil is still very wet. I've noticed the lowest leaves are turning yellow which makes me think the peas are dying, but I'm not really sure. Do you think there is a way I can save the plant? Any advice?
Are you sure you have enough holes in the bottom of the container? The excess water should have drained out within a day or two. You might get a fan and blow air on them which will increase evaporation somewhat. They will probably grow out of the problem once they dry out

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh no! I would definitely add more holes to the pot (maybe a few in the sides just for good measure). I've had this happen recently too and I actually repotted it in a larger pot with dry soil around it to help absorb some of the extra water. I would also put them in front of a fan or under a low powered desk lamp. I've actually put pillow cases over my plants so the light doesn't burn the plant, but it helped. I hope they pull through! So frustrating when that happens!

ziskasun

A seed once sown never dies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh no! I would definitely add more holes to the pot (maybe a few in the sides just for good measure). I've had this happen recently too and I actually repotted it in a larger pot with dry soil around it to help absorb some of the extra water. I would also put them in front of a fan or under a low powered desk lamp. I've actually put pillow cases over my plants so the light doesn't burn the plant, but it helped. I hope they pull through! So frustrating when that happens!
Thanks, these are good ideas. This is a pot that is "self-contained" the type where the extra water is supposed to drain into a small tray attached to the bottom of the pot. It did drain however, it seems to be clogged or something since the water actually just kept filling up on top of the plants. I can try the fan. I'm really surprised it has not dried up more by now, especially since I have not added more water.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Can you use a pipe cleaner, or a piece of wire hanger, or even a little stick to reach in and try to break up the clog? (Like snaking your plumbing...) That might let out any water still in there, and save this from happening to you again.

Ask a Question