How can I revive my baby poplar?

Reaction score
Country
United States
We planted a baby tulip poplar in the late summer when things had cooled down - We are in zone 7. We followed all the planting instructions carefully. We had a few of the leaves look scorched and die after planting, and the rest fell when the weather changed during the fall. Now the weather has warmed and some of our other trees are beginning to bloom, but I'm not seeing any evidence of new buds on the poplar. A few of the smaller twigs/branches have also become dry and broken off - But I did the fingernail test and the trunk as well as several of the remaining branches are still green. At this point, what can I do to give it the best chance of bouncing back?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Tulip-tree (Liriodendorn tulipifera), also known as Tulip-poplar, is a deciduous tree in the Magnolia Family (Magnoliaceae), native to southern Ontario and the central and eastern U.S. It is considered hardy to USDA Zone 5 (-20º F/-28º C).

They are usually durable and resilient trees, but it would be good more about where and how it was planted. There is no need to immediately prune off dead wood in early Spring. Rather wait until new leaf growth appears on the tree to accurately judge which branches are living or dead.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Give patience. Pay attention that many trees and plants are slow to come in during greenup. The tulip poplars we have here in zone 8a are just beginning to awake and we are warmer than your zone. While some trees like a cherry are seemingly unaffected by cold, populars will stay in bed until the chill is out of the air.

Ask a Question