How bad is this tree?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My main concern is that it's weakened and risks coming down in the next heavy wind. I have already pruned one dead limb. That limb was about half the diameter of the main trunk and was actually pretty rotten as it broke off by hand. But the tree has blooms on it. I don't know much about trees, I don't even know what type this is, but I don't want it coming down and doing damage to the house or other plants.

So is it OK or should or be taken down now?
20170311_165325.jpg
20170311_165546.jpg
20170311_165554.jpg
20170311_165611.jpg
20170311_165603.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Personally, I'd chop it down, but it would be interesting to know the species.

Just curious, but you had Hurrican Hermine http://weatherplus.blog.palmbeachpo...rricane-to-hit-florida-in-more-than-a-decade/ hit back in Sept '16 -- not sure how close you are to its landfall, but how did the tree do?

Hermine really didn't to amount to anything for us here. We got some rain and it was overcast for the better part of a week. But no wind or anything severe, so not really a good test. My parents in Titusville lost several banana trees and an Oak though.

I am leaning towards cutting it down myself but I figured someone here could give a better diagnosis.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I can't tell from the pictures, but it almost looks as if there are two trees fused together...? Are the leaves heart shaped? If the answers are both yes, then I think what you have is a redbud tree. (Cercis canadensis) I'm pretty sure, just from the look of the pink haze of blossoms.

If it is a redbud, they don't live very long, and will usually die of disease after only about 20 years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I can't tell from the pictures, but it almost looks as if there are two trees fused together...? Are the leaves heart shaped? If the answers are both yes, then I think what you have is a redbud tree. (Cercis canadensis) I'm pretty sure, just from the look of the pink haze of blossoms.

If it is a redbud, they don't live very long, and will usually die of disease after only about 20 years.

I believe you are correct. I don't have any pictures of the leaves, but from what I remember they are heart shaped. I looked up redbuds and that appears to be it.

Sounds like I have a good excuse to make room for a citrus tree!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I was almost positive it was a redbud. I found this, and now I am positive.
Cercis spp.

Canker (fungus – Botryosphaeria dothidea): The most destructive disease of redbud. Cankers begin as small sunken areas and increase slowly in size. The bark in the center blackens and cracks along the edges. The canker girdles the stem and the leaves above wilt and die. Prune and burn branches with visible cankers. http://plantdiseasehandbook.tamu.edu/landscaping/trees/redbud/

You might as well chop it down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes, good plan. (y)
I've spent quite a bit since I've owned this house on tree work but it's worth every penny for peace of mind! Last Wednesday we had horrendous winds (leading to the most widespread power outage in Michigan history; mine was out four days.) :eek:

Anyway a neighbor's pine tree came down in the wind. Didn't touch her house but downed a power line which started a fire next to her house. Lucky the fire dept and Consumers were able to get there quickly!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes, good plan. (y)
I've spent quite a bit since I've owned this house on tree work but it's worth every penny for peace of mind! Last Wednesday we had horrendous winds (leading to the most widespread power outage in Michigan history; mine was out four days.) :eek:

Anyway a neighbor's pine tree came down in the wind. Didn't touch her house but downed a power line which started a fire next to her house. Lucky the fire dept and Consumers were able to get there quickly!
We have spent a good deal also. Fortunately this tree is small enough I can safely bring it down myself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I ended up with some time so down it came. There were a lot of dead limbs up high. The center of most limbs was a dark, almost black color. I don't know for sure but it doesn't look normal to me. Here is what I found inside.

Attachments

• 20170312_173302.jpg
    20170312_173302.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 200
  • 20170312_151806.jpg
    20170312_151806.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 208
  • 20170312_150440.jpg
    20170312_150440.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 234
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If I get the stump ground out, will I be able to plant another tree in the same spot? Or is it best to move it over?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I'd plant the new tree in a different spot--far enough away from the house or other structure to be no danger, and where it can get air circulation and have room to grow without constant pruning to keep it in bounds.
Do some research on trees that do well in your area and choose one that pleases you and that will thrive.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep007 is a site with a list of trees that do well in N. Florida. You have to wade through a bit of academic jibberjabber but the chart of trees is helpful.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'd move it, too. Even if you grind out the stump, your new tree would have to fight its way down through the old root system, and the nutrients might be somewhat depleted from the other tree. Might as well start it somewhere it'll stay healthy! (y)

You could bore out the old stump a bit, and plant annuals in it. Or drill holes in it to provide houses for Mason bees. Or both! :)

Ask a Question