How are your greenhouse residents doing?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Here's my hot peppers.
20150719_103230.jpg

You might (or not) notice that I took out the greenhouse bubble wrap along the inside walls and replaced it with window film. I just couldn't stand the ugliness of the bubble. I probably will lose a fair amount of insulating value but to heck with it, it was hillbilly looking. Looks like I'm going to get peppers earlier in the season this year anyway so won't need to run as late in the fall.

I know that I will become impatient in the spring and fire it up again when the snow is still around but I've decided to just eat that rise in the gas bill and forget about it!

How's your greenhouse crop?

as an aside if Chanel is reading this... potatoes out of the basket
20150718_143106.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Looking good Lori! (y) I wish I had a greenhouse! The only bit of our garden when we could put it is our sitting area, and I wouldn't want to lose that ;)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I also wish I had a greenhouse. I did not get to plant anything this year, it was so wet outside this spring and all of June, I got discouraged. It has been dry for a week but very hot out. Your peppers look good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
In the heat of summer the only thing that lives in mine is the patio cushions, gardening tools/supplies and some firewood. Starting probably mid September some of the container crops will move back in and stay there til it gets too cold for them. Mine is unheated but still does a good job extending my growing season

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Very neat green house Lori. I would like one. I'll put it on my list of wants. My husband actually built a steam room out of glass and as it doesn't quite make it up to temperature in winter he tends not to use it as much. Maybe I could borrow it. He's pretty fastidious about it so the idea might go down like a lead balloon!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Looks a bit like an alien ship has landed or maybe Dr. Who's tardis. Works well though. I am growing creepers around it to cast silhouettes from the inside. You can see my little garden shed to the left so it would be convenient as a glass house!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
31ºc 66% humudity hot climate rains when it gets more hot
Country
India
Wwowo u guys have such nice green house
Eagerly waiting to have one once i shift
To usa
Wowo lori ur plants r so healthy
nice potatoes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Gee, I love the photos of your greenhouses there. Especially that of @CanadianLori which has a hanging tool rack. I envy your greenhouses because I cannot afford to have one. We have no more space at home since our backyard and front yard are both small and already occupied. Maybe if we can buy the adjacent vacant lot then I can construct a good greenhouse that can house the lettuce and other vegetables.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
United Kingdom
My greenhouse has been very productive this year. I've never had a decent sized one before and have made the most of it with tomatoes, peppers and basil. I also have a 'volunteer', a large round sweetheart squash which must have come from a seed left by the previous owners.
I love your steam room DeborahJane! That's extremely classy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4ish so they say..?
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a greenhouse now for around 6-7 years and it is always crammed to the rafters with plants even through the winter, I am fairly lucky too as when I built it I ran some armoured cable down to it from the house, around 20 metres from the box in the garage, although I had to have a new fuse box fitted and although it was a little pricey was definitely worth it. This picture was taken quite early in the season and I still had the bubble wrap up inside to insulate it from any late cold snaps. It is a mad time of the year with all the plants inside and i have around 5 mini greenhouses alone the side of the house to cope with the overflow of trays of plants. Even now at this time of the year I have many plants inside and outside waiting for either a new home of to be crammed into a small space that I find.
IMG_5960.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
The residents in our greenhouse are doing well but the greenhouse itself is not too good.

We've had it for 40 years and the timbers are rotting. So, this year, I've started replacing some of the supports for the roof panels. Each pane of glass is 5ft x 2.5ft so it's delicate work.

When I say that the timbers are rotting, I think it may be an understatement!

P1250517.JPG

So a good friend, who's much better than I am at DIY came round to help. We started removing the panels, two at a time as that is how long each support timber is. The glass needed to be handled very carefully. We then had to rip out the old timbers without stressing the building and cut the new ones to size and replace them.

This is the first two panels having been removed - far left.
P1250516.JPG

job completed on this side
P1250613.JPG

The plants didn't even clap and cheer for all the effort we put in!
P1250614.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4ish so they say..?
Country
United Kingdom
The residents in our greenhouse are doing well but the greenhouse itself is not too good.

We've had it for 40 years and the timbers are rotting. So, this year, I've started replacing some of the supports for the roof panels. Each pane of glass is 5ft x 2.5ft so it's delicate work.

When I say that the timbers are rotting, I think it may be an understatement!

View attachment 10312

So a good friend, who's much better than I am at DIY came round to help. We started removing the panels, two at a time as that is how long each support timber is. The glass needed to be handled very carefully. We then had to rip out the old timbers without stressing the building and cut the new ones to size and replace them.

This is the first two panels having been removed - far left.
View attachment 10309

job completed on this side
View attachment 10310

The plants didn't even clap and cheer for all the effort we put in!
View attachment 10311

I think you have done a great job so far, it is delicate work to replace wooden beams in a greenhouse, there is special wood you cn buy that is designed to last a long time in Greenhouses, I can't remember the name of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4ish so they say..?
Country
United Kingdom
This is mine when it was first constructed,
2013-08-11_0001.jpg

You can see the electric cable on the floor and the fact it looks nice and shiny, Shortly after the shed was replaced as it was rotting away. and the raised beds in front went in later

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I think you have done a great job so far, it is delicate work to replace wooden beams in a greenhouse, there is special wood you cn buy that is designed to last a long time in Greenhouses, I can't remember the name of it.

Thanks,
The timber has lasted 40 years because it's hardwood but it was too expensive to buy hardwood to fix it. So I used pressure treated (or Tanalised) timber and painted it with preservative. (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Right now I only have two lonely brussel sprout plants left inthere. They really don't need to be in there but last year some naught creature ate my sprouts so this year I'm keeping them in the slammer!

Ask a Question