How are your gardens coming?

Reaction score
Today I got the last row of my vegetable garden in: I finished in the rain because I was so eager to get it done! I rewarded myself by also planting 4 packets of wildflower seeds, ALSO in the rain!

Flowers are my first love, but gardening can be expensive and so I ease my conscience by making my garden pay for itself. I love growing vegetables also, but I CRAVE the bright faces of the flowers! So, after I got the bush beans in I finished the long row with California Poppys, strawflowers, and two different packages of wildflower mixes!

Now all I have to do is weed, feed, water, and harvest!:D:ROFLMAO::cool::ROFLMAO:

Speaking of harvesting, my first eggplant and some onions are big enough to fry. I intend to have them this weekend!

How are your gardens coming?:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Today I got the last row of my vegetable garden in: I finished in the rain because I was so eager to get it done! I rewarded myself by also planting 4 packets of wildflower seeds, ALSO in the rain!

Flowers are my first love, but gardening can be expensive and so I ease my conscience by making my garden pay for itself. I love growing vegetables also, but I CRAVE the bright faces of the flowers! So, after I got the bush beans in I finished the long row with California Poppys, strawflowers, and two different packages of wildflower mixes!

Now all I have to do is weed, feed, water, and harvest!:D:ROFLMAO::cool::ROFLMAO:

Speaking of harvesting, my first eggplant and some onions are big enough to fry. I intend to have them this weekend!

How are your gardens coming?:D
Here the spring garden is coming to a close. I have been picking green beans for almost a month. tomatoes also. The corn will all be harvested within 2 weeks. The tomatoes probably will be gone in 3 weeks. The cucumbers and canteloupes will be finished in a month. So now is when the fall garden is started

Reaction score
Chuck, do you have a summer garden also, or is it too hot and dry where you live?

One of my favorite things to do is to stand in the garden and decide what to eat with dinner! In the spring that usually means some kind of greens, and our summer garden provides us with the corn, tomatos, and green beans!

I rarely try for a Fall garden, as our growing season is shorter than yours and our summers are not quite as hot. For us, when the tomatos are finished it is about the end of the gardening year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Towards the end of July it is too hot and dry for just about anything to grow. During the first couple of weeks in July is when I plant the seeds for my fall garden. Things like brocolli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts etc in pots and then, depending on what I think the weather is going to do sow root crop seeds in the first part of Sept. Most of the time between the first of July and the time I set out my new plants and sow root crop seeds I am feeding the soil and just getting the planting spots ready, cleaning the drip irrigation tubes and fittings and just basically getting the garden ready. Here, a serious vegetable garden is a 365 day process. Right now I am harvesting canning and freezing stuff every day. By the end of Sept I can just sit back, drink beer and watch the garden grow until November when deer season starts

Reaction score
By this time of the year all my plants would be full of flowers. I guess my cucumber plants would be super big and getting ready to bear cucumbers. Looking forward to keeping a garden gain once I move. I really want to give edibles a try.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Garden #2 is great! I was just this morning marveling at how healthy my strawberry plants are and how much better they are doing this year than the ones I had last year. My cherry tomatoes are producing fruit left and right and I'm quite impressed with them as well. I have lots of herbs and flowers, but my basil really took off. I'm still waiting for my blueberries to turn blue, but I have more berries on the bush this year than I ever have before.

Reaction score
I'm just a container gardener. I have a bunch of potted plants outside of my apartment. My alocasia Polly plants look skimpy because I had to trim them due to spider mites. Overall, most of my plants are doing okay.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Today, a tree fell down in my neighbor's garden. It was kind of scary and unexpected. It was such a beautiful tree!:(
As for my garden, it looks lovely. Most plants are in bloom. I worry about my roses though. They don't grow and they don't look healthy. I water them less often now, but it doesn't seem to help:cry:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Today, a tree fell down in my neighbor's garden. It was kind of scary and unexpected. It was such a beautiful tree!:(
As for my garden, it looks lovely. Most plants are in bloom. I worry about my roses though. They don't grow and they don't look healthy. I water them less often now, but it doesn't seem to help:cry:
What are you feeding them? Pics would help too

Reaction score
My garden is coming along just great. I planted mostly onions and strawberries. I have actually picked around 20 strawberries so far, but they aren't the big ones that one would find in supermarkets. These are much tinier and are about 1/5 of the size. Also, I have seen a couple birds come by and eat some strawberries. They don't eat the whole thing which is pretty annoying, because they keep moving on to new ones. I squirrel tried eating away at them (I think), but I scared it off before it could. My onions are still pretty small, but I'm watering them every week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
What are you feeding them? Pics would help too
I use a special fertilizer for roses. However, I haven't fed them in two or three weeks, because I was told that it's better not to fertilize unhealthy plants. I'll upload some pictures today:)

Reaction score
I have 3 pots of carrots on the back deck. They make a pretty foliage plant!

The carrots are not getting fat yet. I should give them a bit more time, and possibly some fertilizer as well! They may LOOK like a foliage plant but they were intended for salads!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Chuck, do you have a summer garden also, or is it too hot and dry where you live?

One of my favorite things to do is to stand in the garden and decide what to eat with dinner! In the spring that usually means some kind of greens, and our summer garden provides us with the corn, tomatos, and green beans!

I rarely try for a Fall garden, as our growing season is shorter than yours and our summers are not quite as hot. For us, when the tomatos are finished it is about the end of the gardening year.
Brassicas & oriental veg will keep you going throughout winter.

Reaction score
Brassicas & oriental veg will keep you going throughout winter.
Not in Kansas: our winters are too cold. Two years ago I was delighted to be able to keep covered plants alive until after Christmas! They did not grow any larger but they did not die, either, so I just kept picking them until the beginning of January.

I want to do that again this year. With my main vegetable garden now in I should have the time to go through my leftover seeds and plant the raised bed with the hoops over it. I cover the bed with 2 layers of plastic and I cover the hoops with one.

Reaction score
Everything's looking good here, we've had rain in the afternoons a lot lately so I haven't had to water at all!

Ask a Question