How Are You With "English Comprehension?"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Ou bin collection day is always a Wednesday. This week was a grey bin week, non-recyclable waste.

Usually the green bin (garden and food waste) has a weekly collection, but hasn't been emptied for a couple of weeks, due to the emergency.

This is on the council's website today.

Green bin collections – We are emptying green bins today, Thursday 16 April

The coronavirus continues to impact on collections and our ability to provide a full waste and recycling service. We are running a limited service to clear existing waste, and are doing everything possible to empty as many green bins as possible.

• On your black bin day, present your green bin together with your black bin.
  • We will try to empty your bin or caddy. However should we not collect it, please bring it back in. We are unable to return.
  • You should continue to put food waste in your grey bin.
  • For the time being you should not put additional garden waste in your green bin.

Thank you for bearing with us at this time. The information is reviewed daily so may change at short notice.

The black bin isn't due to be emptied until 6th of May asccoring to the glossy collection dates calandar provided by Trafford each year.

We've had a road full of green bins outside houses today. c'ept ours and one or two others who understood what was posted.
It's 8.00pm and many are still out.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
LoL UK is separated from me by a common language. I cannot understand 2X. Do ya'll understand Margaritas? Ya may need to blend a few.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
LoL UK is separated from me by a common language. I cannot understand 2X. Do ya'll understand Margaritas? Ya may need to blend a few.

In this instance, I think it is a "man thing," they read the bit in large font type and don't bother with the rest.

It's like the handbook you get with a new car. Few people bother to read it properly, "It's the 300 pages on 'elf n' safety " at the front that puts people off. They don't get as far as where it tells you to run the A/C for half an hour each week in the winter, then wonder why it won't come on when it gets warm again six months later.

On Monday, we're taking delivery of the craft desk/storage unit I've ordered for my wife. She'll grab the instructions and check I'm putting it together correctly in case I don't bother with them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
In this instance, I think it is a "man thing," they read the bit in large font type and don't bother with the rest.

It's like the handbook you get with a new car. Few people bother to read it properly, "It's the 300 pages on 'elf n' safety " at the front that puts people off. They don't get as far as where it tells you to run the A/C for half an hour each week in the winter, then wonder why it won't come on when it gets warm again six months later.

On Monday, we're taking delivery of the craft desk/storage unit I've ordered for my wife. She'll grab the instructions and check I'm putting it together correctly in case I don't bother with them.
Culturally speaking, I am comfortable referring to those documents as "corrections" rather than "instructions".

Ask a Question