How a'm I getting my 2 stroke mix so wrong?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new hedge trimmer and it says ratio 40:1. I mixed it up using the bottle provided but the hedge trimmer gets too hot, cuts out and smokes. Made a fresh mix and had another go but the same thing happened again! I can't see how I have the ratio so wrong. How accurate do you have to get the ratio? Because its as close as I'm ever going to get it, looks fine by my eye but obviously Ive got it badly wrong. Any ideas how to fix this or any tips to make a correct mix.
thank you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Imperial vs US gallons perhaps? Maybe they sent the wrong bottle? There is 1.21 US to 1 Imp.

P

Peace perfect peace

Hi,
I mix regularly ive both 2 stroke hedge strimmer and a chain saw, both are 25/1 mix,

Two things to check (and im only asking) are you using 2 stoke oil to mix?
And secondly is your air filter blocked up, these are to clean the air but also to keep the engine running cool,
If the air filter is not fully clear for the task it wont take long to heat the engine up,

One last thing what grade fuel are you using ?
If to high again this can cause problems,
I'd clean the air filter/ plug and check the plugs gap,
google the make to check the ratio mix,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
Make sure you buy a decated 2 stroke oil for the mix. Most bottles here in the USA have the ratio on the bottle for common 40:1 50:1 and others such as 32:1 and 25:1.

I tend to use Echo Red Armor my self because it is sold in several different places local.

I also use a mix cup to measure the oil out to the proper onces and add to a can of gasoline normally a 2 gallon can.
I use non ethnol gasoline some here in the USA as rec fuel.
Shake the container after you add the oil and then shake it every time your ready to fuel the equpment.

If the hedge trimmer is new you might want to take it to the dealer and have then check that the carb jetting is correctly set also.

Al

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the help. The oil is a proper 2 stroke oil. Not sure about the petrol its just the normal petrol station stuff. All works fine in my strimmer but that has a 50:1 mix. Its new so air filter and plugs should be good. The book says 40:1 mix.

P

Peace perfect peace

Thanks for the help. The oil is a proper 2 stroke oil. Not sure about the petrol its just the normal petrol station stuff. All works fine in my strimmer but that has a 50:1 mix. Its new so air filter and plugs should be good. The book says 40:1 mix.
Hi Danny,
Im glad ive got you pre me going to bed, i made a mistake ref the ratio mix I said 25/1
I should have said 40/1
I was looking at the baby's bottle i use for measuring such liquids and i looked at the back of the bottle and not the front, so Sorry,

But i think i may have the answer ref why your over heating, if your fuel is in a plastic fuel container ?
It will show you on the outside a line and the about that container is to hold ie 5 Litre
Now if you fill the container with fuel past this line (and you can easily) just look how much extra fuel you now have in the can ?

Its a lot more than 5Ltr's "But" if you've only put the 2 stroke oil for 5LRS in, and you've fill the container to the top ???
Your oil mix is weak and the engine will over heat,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I'm filling mixing bottle to required levels for the 40:1 ratio.
So have you ever seen a video of how metal is cut with a torch? The sparks and so forth are like fireworks. The cutting torches may start with fuel called acetylene, but oxygen is soon added increasing the vigor of the flame. Oxygen makes the combustion of fuel so robust that it can cut even metal. In fact, once the cut is hot the fuel can be shut off and saved whilst just using oxygen to maintain the heat of the cut. This blowtorch effect can occur in an engine. It is a condition known as "running lean". In 2 cycle enginea this is where the mistake of tuning more maximum high speed rpm is compounded by failing to slightly enrichen the mix once that rpm sweet spot is found. This changes with oxygen density, across the temps of the year and elevation. The fuel is actually used as a mild coolant. If you screwed up the oil, your assumption that your machine is not lubricated is wrong as there is at least some oil, and it is used for the piston rings and finds its way down into the area where the bottom bearings are located. Your machine will smoke a little just because it is new. I am interested to know how much binding is occuring in the blade areas it works back and forth.

P

Peace perfect peace

Hi D/M
Im like you cant wait to hear the end results to this one, and i hope we get the end results so we all know what it was,
But i do like your reply,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hi D/M
Im like you cant wait to hear the end results to this one, and i hope we get the end results so we all know what it was,
But i do like your reply,
I am alway curious about 2 cycles because they power so much of my own equipment. I have been changing to batteries, and my hedge trimmer is battery powered, but we only have an acre or so where buxus and other plants grow.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

Ask a Question