How about a seed swap?

Reaction score
Is there anyone who would be interested in doing seed swaps? It's a fun way to try and grow something new at the cost of some stamps!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That could be a good thing to try after the next growing season. I don't have much on hand at the moment, and I honestly don't even know where things are right now. I've had to move and shuffle things around so much the past two years I'll be lucky if I find anything viable.

Reaction score
I would love to, but I live on the other side of the world.. The shipping would cost more than the seeds themselves.. I would like some tulip bulbs and may be some blue iris.. these are not among the plants that are grown here :/ I wish I could get them here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I would love to, but I live on the other side of the world.. The shipping would cost more than the seeds themselves.. I would like some tulip bulbs and may be some blue iris.. these are not among the plants that are grown here :/ I wish I could get them here.

Maddie, find out if there are any government restrictions on receiving that sort of thing and maybe we can figure out a way to get you some. Tulips may not be prevalent in your country, but it's not as if bulbs would have to cross the ocean to get to you. I plan on getting some blue iris bulbs myself this summer so you never know...

Reaction score
Maddie, find out if there are any government restrictions on receiving that sort of thing and maybe we can figure out a way to get you some. Tulips may not be prevalent in your country, but it's not as if bulbs would have to cross the ocean to get to you. I plan on getting some blue iris bulbs myself this summer so you never know...
Yeah there are lot of restriction on import of bulbs and plants.. quarantine is one of those.. My aunt live in Srilanka and has some awesome looking plants.. she was trying to send them across to me and found herself facing a whole bunch of government restrictions.. Seed swap would be much easier I guess. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Seed swap would be much easier I guess. :)

Live plants are an issue here in the U.S. just crossing state borders. Find out what you can about the seeds and I'll see what I can come up with. Some things should be okay as long as it's not a food plant or an invasive one like kudzu.

Reaction score
Aww.. Chanell, that is so sweet of you.. :) I will find out what can be done and PM you on it.. :) Thanks a ton :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've had problems with seed swaps outside the EU. I sent a load of seeds to a guy in Jamaica but none of them germinated. Think their border control irradiated them.

Unknown to me he'd sent me some sugarcane seed, but I think it was confiscated by our customs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Unknown to me he'd sent me some sugarcane seed, but I think it was confiscated by our customs.

Well, Zigs, coming from Jamaica, your customs agents probably assumed the seeds were marijuana, lol. As for the seeds you sent, I don't see why they would irradiate them; that makes absolutely no sense. The may has well have just thrown them away.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Well, Zigs, coming from Jamaica, your customs agents probably assumed the seeds were marijuana, lol. As for the seeds you sent, I don't see why they would irradiate them; that makes absolutely no sense. The may has well have just thrown them away.

Lol, I didn't think of that
greensmilies-024.gif

You're probably right.

don't think they deliberately irradiated them, more like they'd run incoming post thru an xray machine like at the airports. I sent a whole load of different seeds out, some should have germinated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
don't think they deliberately irradiated them, more like they'd run incoming post thru an xray machine like at the airports. I sent a whole load of different seeds out, some should have germinated.

I can't imagine all those letters going through x-ray. Seems a bit extreme since they can't pick up stuff like Anthrax, which is what the whole letter scare was about. Then again, you probably sent them in a box, didn't you?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Just a normal jiffy bag. Something must have gone wrong somewhere. :(

Reaction score
Yeah, that was what I was thinking.. if they suspect that there is more than a letter in the envelope they will run them through scanners and those could damage the seeds. I guess the government controls work hard as the threat of terror. :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have some wildflower seeds in paper note cards I have had for a while that I've been thinking of trying to germinate. If it works those would be easy to mail. I hesitated planting them because I don't really want them to spread everywhere, but I'll let you know how it goes.

Ask a Question