Houseplants for any kind of light

Reaction score
I came across this link from Martha Stewart's website. It's a list of 43 houseplants that thrive in any type of light. Great pictures and there are brief instructions listed with each picture showing you how to care for the plant. It's some beautiful plants on the site.

The plant below is a Silver Philodendron, or Scindapsus..

Check it out the website here ..

ld106158_1110_med3_vert.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I will definitely have to check out this list! I have a peace lily indoors at the moment and everything else is edible. I'd like to have a fern and some succulents, and maybe an ivy at some point. For now, I am running out of space, lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I think I have a plant like the one in the picture, but mine has more of white spots on the leaves. Maybe it has something to do with sunlight.
This list is very interesting, thank you for sharing it:)

Reaction score
Great list.. I have quite a few of these as most of my plants are indoors.. I love the pothos especially the neon variety .. bring a lot of light to the darkest parts of the house. Though they survive low lights they don't seem to thrive as much as they d in sunlight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I think I have a plant like the one in the picture, but mine has more of white spots on the leaves. Maybe it has something to do with sunlight.
This list is very interesting, thank you for sharing it:)

That is a definite possibility, Claudine. Have you read up on the plant? There is one that is very easy to propagate and grow commonly known as "wandering jew." While not necessarily the best houseplant, it's usually purple in color, but when it grows in full sun it can turn green.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wandering jew is such an interesting plant! I remember my Aunt grew it. Her plants were always deep purple, I had no idea they can turn green. I googled it and you are right - it can change its color, it's fascinating:D
My Aunt's plants looked like these:
wandering-jew_1.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Claudine, just imagine how I felt the first time I saw my own plant after it had been exposed to full sun. It was quite a shock, believe me. The second variety you showed does well in hanging baskets, though I haven't experienced drastic changes in color from that type before. I used to have both plants, but don't remember what happened to them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm sure it was a big surprise:p . Personally I like these plants more with purple leaves - because it looks so unique.
I had to delete the second picture, it didn't show up for me:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, ChanellG, this plant is really beautiful - and enormous:D . I really like that it has both purple and green leaves at the same time, it looks really interesting.

Reaction score
Claudine they are pretty easy to grow. to get one started you just need a piece. I have seen people grow them in their flower beds and use it like ground cover. It doesn't make it through the winter though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Wow, ChanellG, this plant is really beautiful - and enormous:D . I really like that it has both purple and green leaves at the same time, it looks really interesting.

I have been searching for that thread where we were talking about indoor gardens. Do remember one of us posting a picture where someone actually had a little patch of grass in their living room? I think we'd been talking about growing trees indoors.

Anyway, I saw this image and it reminded me of that conversation:

tumblr_lvoukm4S5u1qdq0mxo1_1280.jpg

This looks like just the sort of thing that you would like.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's stunning!!! :D I love, love, love it! It looks like a room of my dreams, I'm speechless. It's one of the most beautiful rooms I've ever seen.

Ask a Question