Houseplants for a pitch-black room

Ben

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi!

I was wondering if I could grow any plants in a room which gets ~1hr of light usually, or 2-3 hrs on a really sunny day. The window faces south, and WOULD get sufficient light if it were not for the absolute unit of a house next door. Anyway, enough complaining from me. Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Peace Lily is considered a "closet plant" because it requires little light. They are quite pretty and easy to care for.
Another option is to install a grow light and place plants beneath it. Usually six hours a day will suffice for the normal house plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
All plants need light. Some may survive for a time but will not thrive. Snake plant varieties, philodendrons, pathos are commonly available plants you might consider.

There are inexpensive strip LED grow lights that I have placed under cabinets and tables and in dark corners to expand my growing spaces. I run them all the time and have not noticed any change in my electrical bill. I now have them in five new plant areas. They have built in timers and are working well for me. Maybe this might be an option.

14BD248D-4D07-4DFE-B7C2-5CBD61A60C4B.jpeg
E04EC939-6126-4732-ABDE-0D2879A4883E.jpeg

Ask a Question