Hot summer flowers that can take drought

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
hello my name is sissy and i have 3 acres in Virginia and want to learn about more plants and there hardiness .The summers are really hot here and some flowers do not survive the heat .The ones I have most success with are phlox and marigolds and some elephant ears and canna .I would love to find more that are more drought tolerant

j.w

Reaction score
welcomeDancingMice.gif
sissy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Cone flower, tickseed, coreopsis (grandiflora daisy.
I love the blanket flowers, there are some great colors. They bloom all summer.

I don't water any of them.

Reaction score
Hi Sissy! Here in "hotter' n Hades" S Texas I have great success with Periwinkle (12-18", red, pink, purple, white), Penta (24"+-, red, pink, purple), Lantana (all shapes and colors LOL), Verbena, Blue Daze groundcover (I absolutely love it!).

Reaction score
hello my name is sissy and i have 3 acres in Virginia and want to learn about more plants and there hardiness .The summers are really hot here and some flowers do not survive the heat .The ones I have most success with are phlox and marigolds and some elephant ears and canna .I would love to find more that are more drought tolerant
Sissy glad to see you over here!

Reaction score
Hey! I'm in VA as well and I just heard about the Foxtail Lily yesterday. I had seen pictures of this plant before but never had known anything about it. Depending on the type they can flower 4 to 9 feet and apparently they thrive in dry soil/soil that is very well drained in full sun. They bloom in June and actually require a dry summer dormancy period.

If you have a spot that gets shaded from the hot midday sun, morning glory or moon flower vines are very nice and come in a wide variety of colors and shapes.

You could also try some ornamental pepper plants, which love the hot heat and can be drought tolerant to a point. Although not great for flowers, the peppers themselves can equally brighten up the garden with bright reds, oranges, and yellows. You could try a grouping of fish pepper plants, it's a unique pepper plant that has white patterns on the leaves.

Attachments

• 6271_l.jpg
    6271_l.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 352
Reaction score
Country
United States
I like Portulaca for those dry, sunny spots. Related to Purslane, they are succulents. That is, they hold their water very well so they are drought tolerant. They also come in a wide variety of bright, festive colors.

Ask a Question