Hosta Elegans Disease

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My young Hosta Elegans just flowered, but now it has a disease. I planted it back in the spring and it has looked good all summer -- until now. What is this and what must I do to correct the problem? (See photo).
ElegancHostaDisease.JPG
is

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It looks like a virus jonereb.
Can you post a picture of the remaining leaves?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is difficult to identify virus in some hostas from a distance but for me yours has a virus jonereb. The seepage of colour throughout the leaf and veins makes me think that. In some variegated varieties the virus is more noticeable.
Snail damage and maybe some damage from sun on water spots too.
I suggest you check out virus X on hostas and compare with the leaves on your plant :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I fear that you are correct about the hosta having a virus, which means I'll have to dig it up and destroy it. That's a shame because I had planned another bed in which I wanted to include several hosta varieties. Now I'm a little gun shy.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are varieties more susceptible.
I have one variety that MAY carry the virus but I think it is ok. It is isolated and prob will be destroyed or given to a neighbour I don't like (y)
Dont be put off jonereb......hostas are fantastic plants. Buy from a reputable source and check the leaves, patterns and colours being leached across the foliage. If the leaf colour is uniform, looks good then it prob is ok.

Ask a Question