Horse manure?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b or 6a who knows
Country
United States
My neighbor owns a few horses and has let me know if I ever needed manure, that I could have some...She said all her horses are organically fed and she has more than enough..

My question is, is all manure created equal? Is fresh manure better or something that has sat for a bit?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
You would want to compost it first (hot) to kill weed seeds

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Horse manure is great stuff, but as Everbrown said, it has to be composted first not only to kill the weed seeds, but so that it won't burn your plants like fresh manure can.
If you can incorporate it into a compost pile, add grass clippings, non-dairy, non-meat kitchen scraps, yard trimmings and leaves, and let it break down for about 6 months (turn it occasionally to let air get into the pile) you will have some of the richest, best, and most helpful compost for your gardens.
We get steer manure around here, but basically it is the same process and same result.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
yeah, compost it (y) I have a few cows and horses and if they're no good for anything else I have to settle for the poop. :) We used to eat the cows but now they've become pets. :( Used to work the horses but… you know. Pets :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
both critters are manure machines, and if the neighbor uses good pasture/stall management, there will be some saw dust, straw or bedding that is mixed in with the proceeds. Unless you are raising lettuce or onion sets, it is best to compost it well. That reduces the smell and the ick factor a lot as well. If you don't compost yet, it is something that is very enviro-friendly and easy to do. Requires keeping the things Marlin mentions OUT of the pile and turning every now and then, but in a few months you will have compost that is full of nutrients and will really brighten up your plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
My father was a race horse trainer so he dealt with horse manure all his life. When we need fertilizer, we get a sack from the stable of my brother who is now a trainer himself. The horse manure is scattered on the ground for drying since wet manure is not good for the plants - it is too hot for comfort. A dried manure is not hot and has all the nutrients a plant needs.

Ask a Question