Horse and cow manure ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ok got a truckload for 5 dollars but read last night on the puter at several sights that you need to watch dogs and not llet them near it as there could be some bad stuff in it ,the names of bacterias would take to long to list on here .I happen to think after I got it to check online to make sure of any harm it could do to pets or plants .I have it piled at the back of my property to break down more .My father always used manure in his gardens but back then it was better stuff as that was 30 to 40 years ago and you did not see all this stuff on mad cow desease and other things .My dogs stay in the fenced in part of the back yard and I don't plan on using it there or near there .But when I take the dogs for a walk after this manure leaches into the soil will it cause any problems for them or to them .I have never use it before here and only plan on using it for a part of the yard that seems to not want to grow anything and for a manure tea for my plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If it makes you feel better one of my good friends has a few horse manure producers and his neighbor has cow manure producers
And his outside Dogs are still normal to me

Reaction score
If I had known you wanted cow/horse manure, I would have given it to you for free. The only catch is that it would cost you a small fortune in gas to come get it lol.

I don't think you have to worry too much about the dogs, but I would think twice before getting puppy kisses.

Reaction score
I used to have horses, our dogs just LOVED horse "apples", we now have cows and dogs, still no problems. I actually have never heard it is bad for them. I have used it in the gardens, worked great, except for the fact I had a TON of weeds from it, must have needed more composting.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well it is raining and guess some of the good stuff are getting washed into the ground .I was kind of concerned as the vet told me he does not really like having it around house pets because of the germs and bacteria it carries with it .But since my pets won't be walking through and dragging it in the house ,I guess it is safe .Thanks for all the input and hope it does not produce tons of weeds in my yard .I was worried since you never know what they are feeding or giving to animals any more

Reaction score
That is a good point, I know my animals don't get all the garbage of commercial feed lots, so that might be a valid difference. Our world is getting scary, glad I can raise my own meat and produce for the most part.

j.w

Reaction score
I've only used steer manure and heard that if you don't compost that horse manure good before you use it on your gardens weeds can come up like crazy so be careful sissy and maybe do a test and let some sit in a spot for awhile and see if it sprouts. I don't know how long seeds would be viable in it. I think some kinds of weed seeds can last for a long time. Anybody know?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have it at the back of my property near the woods but we had a lot of rainfall last night and just had a big storm come through again .I'm a vegetarian and try to raise some of my own but when the really hot part of summer gets here I don't get much .He did tell me it was aged manure and said how you tell is there is either no smell or almost no smell to it .I guess it ages like fine wine LOL:)

j.w

Reaction score
Sissy you will have to keep us updated on if any weeds come up from it when you start using it. I wonder how long it takes to compost it and how do you compost it if say you should get a pile of it that's fresh? Do you just cover it w/ a tarp or? My friend up the road has horses and has offered me some but it's not composted.

Reaction score
It is best if you can add green stuffs such as grass clipings, let it heat up good for several weeks, that should kill the seeds (I hope anyway!).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
you never want to cover compost on a hot day it can start a fire also .They have a powder to aid breakdown to compost and they sell it a tractor supply and southern states .The only way to aid in breakdown is to keep turning it over .I have been turning it over 3 or 4 times a day .Baking soda helps in the smell and some people down here tell me they aid in breakdown by using rid ex like you use for your septic tank

j.w

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on composting it. Seems like a bit of work which I try to avoid as much as possible,lol!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
you can also use rid ex that you use for septic tanks .I had some and tried and the compost is really breaking down fast and looks like black dirt already .I turn it over 3 or 4 times a day .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I went to there websight .I read it on the box i got so thought i would check it out ,nothing to loose since i already had it here

Ask a Question