Hoping to save my peace lilies... on their last legs

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone have any ideas?? These plants are sentimental, and I'm really hoping to save them.

About 6 months ago I divided the plant and put both pieces in larger pots. They didn't look great at the time and have gone downhill more. I don't have the greenest thumb, but I was hoping these plants would turn around. Now, I can't figure out what to do.

They are in a south facing room and have decent light all day. The soil has fungus gnats, but not sure that is the issue. The only problem I see is that the room is fairly cool/cold and the soil takes a long time to dry, so if I had to guess I'd say that it's took much time in damp soil? Should I switch to a smaller pot, put them in a warmer spot, change the soil, ...???

I know they're on their last legs, so willing to try whatever. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2872.jpg
    IMG_2872.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2873.jpg
    IMG_2873.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 25
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

That the soil is staying damp enough to breed fungus gnats suggests that poor drainage and/or overwatering are the problem.
Inspect both the soil and container drain holes for proper drainage. The media appears to be an acceptable potting soil but there may be blockage or excessive compression beneath the surface. If there is a saucer make certain it doesn't block drainage and that it is emptied after irrigation. If proper drainage has been assured, do not water again until the soil has become significantly drier. Let it appear dry at the surface. At this point, repotting to a smaller pot size may help.

Ask a Question