Honey Spray Antifungal Antibiotic?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Should I try to spray honey as our disease season kick into high gear? It seems to serve the idea of using molasses while have a better upside, downside being price of course but its just for veggies?

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Should I try to spray honey as our disease season kick into high gear? It seems to serve the idea of using molasses while have a better upside, downside being price of course but its just for veggies?
In the studies I have read molasses and honey both have antifungal properties. Mainly the difference between the two is that molasses has Iron, Calcium and Potassium in it and honey doesn't. That and the price of course. They both work on humans too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
In the studies I have read molasses and honey both have antifungal properties. Mainly the difference between the two is that molasses has Iron, Calcium and Potassium in it and honey doesn't. That and the price of course. They both work on humans too.
I understood the antifungal property of molasses to be either sulphur based or propionic acid additive where the honey is some inherent thing?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I understood the antifungal property of molasses to be either sulphur based or propionic acid additive where the honey is some inherent thing?
I don't think so, but, maybe. Not all molasses has anything to do with sulfur. I am talking grain or cane molasses. Some feed molasses has sulfur added and I thought propionic acid was a byproduct of the fermentation process and not an additive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
propionic acid is an additive I see listed when I buy the deer molasses at tractor supply. It breaks down into some other acids on its way out the door. All the acids are of course antifungal, but I do not know how the meristem of a plant feels about all that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
propionic acid is an additive I see listed when I buy the deer molasses at tractor supply. It breaks down into some other acids on its way out the door. All the acids are of course antifungal, but I do not know how the meristem of a plant feels about all that.
I wonder if deer molasses is the same as horticultural molasses

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I wonder if deer molasses is the same as horticultural molasses
Doubt it. I have been buying 5 gallon buckets of unsulphured blackstrap from restuerant suppliers. I think that is the same as "horticultural" products. Prior I was using deer molasses with a preservative in the yard with no noticeable ill effect, but the garden is another matter.

Ask a Question