Home Insurance

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I participated in the "annual pantomime" with my home and contents insurers.

They sent me a renewal notice on Saturday, telling me that my premium for this year would be 8% greater than last year.

I e-mailed them over the week-end saying, I was unwilling to pay that and I'd go elsewhere.

They phoned me this afternoon and after a "frank discussion," I'll be paying 4% less than last year for the same cover.

Why do we have to go through this charade every year?

Because so many people are willing to accept such increases without question.

It's the same with car insurance.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
You won't get a reduction if you don't ask, that's how they get away with it.
Hubby does that, recently hubby's broadband contract was coming to an end and it was going up,he found out that they were doing a offer for first time customers so he phoned them up and asked if he could have the same and they offered a reduced offer that would have been cheeper than he's got now, so he went for that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Awesome @Sean Regan you spoke up. Have to do that for Senior discounts here, if you don't say anything, no one will just do it. Just now have a small example, I was at Home Depo, that is a Hardware Store, had to get some Ice melt for the drive. wanted the PET friendly. found the last two bags, one of them at a wee tear on the top. So asked the girl for scotch tap for the tear. and I said can you discount me for the damaged bag. ----Got $7.00 off the bag. Yep, you have to ask . I have always call my car insurance company for discounts when I know I am changing mileage driving. There is a grocery store I go to, on Tuesday & Wednesday its senior discount day 5% off the bill and if you bring your own bags it is 5 cents off each bag. all adds up. I know most of you are not from USA, but it is interesting that state by state the discounts are different, some states don't take your pension/social security, some do, some offer other discounts to the elderly.--example in Ohio, when my mother turned 65 her home land taxes were reduced to 1/4 of the cost. Each state has some little differences, how that happen who knows.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Here in the UK, pensioners get naff-all.

Our equivalent "shed" B&Q used to give 10% off on Wednesdays to pensionres but thast stopped years ago. Those over 75 for a few years didn't have to pay for a TV licence, a saving of £150 a year, but that's finished as of this year and the cost of a licence is going up in April.

The only perk we get is that as my wife is a registered disabled person (I'd rather she weren't) I don't have to pay car tax which would be £330 a year.

I think our government believes that retired people are better off than most. Many of us are, but a lot more aren't.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Here in the UK, pensioners get naff-all.
Not sure what the term "naff-all" means.

In the USA our Social Security checks are counted as Income, so they are taxed, which is horrid as we have paid into this system for all these years you'd think they'd give us a break.

Who knows what any government thinks, sometime I don't think they think in the reality of anything. They do not listen, or hear.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I bank with Nationwide. They provide me with full comp contents insurance on my flat. I have to say, I am satisfied. To me it must be a harde blow when you lose everything and then chew your finger nails. If only I'd got cover.

My car insurance is with Zuric, via the civil service. This year I will be looking elsewhere.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure what the term "naff-all" means.

In the USA our Social Security checks are counted as Income, so they are taxed, which is horrid as we have paid into this system for all these years you'd think they'd give us a break.

Who knows what any government thinks, sometime I don't think they think in the reality of anything. They do not listen, or hear.
Naff All basically means 'nothing' if you wanted to be crude you can replace Naff with an expletive of your choice :)

Ask a Question