Home Automation

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone here looked in to home automation before? I've started getting in to it in the past few months, primarily using remote control sockets, wifi lights and a Logitech Harmony remote. It's all a bit gadgety, but it's good fun :).

For example, if we press the "film" button the TV, speakers, etc... will turn on plus jump to Netflix and the lights will dim. Likewise, I can now control our garage door and pond lights from my phone - handy when I'm doing maintenance or carrying lots of things.

It's mainly for a bit of fun, to see how things can work together. However, I'm building a little wi-fi temperature logger which will show me the pond temperature and outdoor temperature on my phone. It should be helpful to know when to feed the fish or to watch out for them spawning :). I've got one working in the garage already, so I know if I need to pop the heater on before doing anything in the workshop.

Have you got any "smart" gadgets or home automation stuff?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
But Ian, where are the popcorn and drinks:eek::eek:?? I think these must be automated as well?!:LOL::ROFLMAO: Don't you?

You are a genius :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:! How cool would that be :D.

I had a look for a bit of a laugh and it looks like someone build a home automation cocktail machine!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You are a genius :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:! How cool would that be :D.

I had a look for a bit of a laugh and it looks like someone build a home automation cocktail machine!

Now, that's more like it! :LOL:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Ian, we are probably the least "techy" folks on this forum! However, we do have a trail camera set up to monitor wildlife that visit overnight. We also have an indoor/outdoor temperature gauge with read-outs in our bedroom and in the kitchen so we know if we need to turn on heat lamps in the coop or cover cool crops with plastic.
I can hardly operate a ballpoint pen, much less control a garage door or pond lights. I admire your expertise, but can't live up to your level.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Ian, we are probably the least "techy" folks on this forum! However, we do have a trail camera set up to monitor wildlife that visit overnight. We also have an indoor/outdoor temperature gauge with read-outs in our bedroom and in the kitchen so we know if we need to turn on heat lamps in the coop or cover cool crops with plastic.
I can hardly operate a ballpoint pen, much less control a garage door or pond lights. I admire your expertise, but can't live up to your level.

I reckon Ian can't bake your lovely dainties .. Or maybe he CAN!:eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Not much for the locks, lights stuff.

As far as remotes, that's a point of pride. Amp, Pre-Amp, TV, DVR - Cable Box, CD Player, DVD Player, Roku and Wii (to a degree) all controlled with 1 remote. On - Off, All Activities and Devices mostly 1 button press away. Is awesome! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Ive been thinking about all of these remote control devices. I've installed lots of powered window shades at clients and they are all capable of being hooked into a central controller. Quite smart.

May get around to playing with this format next summer.

I'm glad to hear from someoe who has actual experience with installing these systems... look out! I might be seeking your input :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
The maximum I can do is to program a crockpot & slo-cooker. in the kitchen so that it starts cooking, for example, at night. And then I'll get breakfast in the morning.

I'm thinking about buying a robot vacuum cleaner. It generally lives a separate life. He vacuums himself, charges the battery himself ... My only function is not to step on it and not stumble.

On my computer there is Alice's voice assistant. For example, I turn on the computer and Alice greet me. I can ask. where do I go for the weekend, or what kind of weather ... Anything and she's all this shows me and tells me. Alice is constantly studying.
The problem is that Alice sometimes takes offense at me. And then she demands that I apologize. She generally ceases to help me until I apologize!
And then I say "I'm sorry, Alice!" She replies "Well, this can happen to everyone!"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I have a roomba. The grandkids think it's a hoot. Does a pretty good job but not anywhere near what my central vac will do.

I'd like a lot of motion sensored devices. Wish they had heating registers that sensed motion in the room and opened up whilst keeping unoccupied room registers in 90% shut position.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The maximum I can do is to program a crockpot & slo-cooker. in the kitchen so that it starts cooking, for example, at night. And then I'll get breakfast in the morning.

I'm thinking about buying a robot vacuum cleaner. It generally lives a separate life. He vacuums himself, charges the battery himself ... My only function is not to step on it and not stumble.

On my computer there is Alice's voice assistant. For example, I turn on the computer and Alice greet me. I can ask. where do I go for the weekend, or what kind of weather ... Anything and she's all this shows me and tells me. Alice is constantly studying.
The problem is that Alice sometimes takes offense at me. And then she demands that I apologize. She generally ceases to help me until I apologize!
And then I say "I'm sorry, Alice!" She replies "Well, this can happen to everyone!"

Are you serious? This sounds psychologically dangerous! You've got one more person in the house.. A woman in the computer whilst I have a man in mine!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
However, we do have a trail camera set up to monitor wildlife that visit overnight

Oh what a cool idea! I've seen these on Amazon before, although the most interesting thing that we get visiting our garden is probably a squirrel.

Ive been thinking about all of these remote control devices. I've installed lots of powered window shades at clients and they are all capable of being hooked into a central controller. Quite smart.

I've been wondering about getting something like this - do you know if they can be retrofitted to existing roller blinds? We've got lots of corded roller blinds, so if these devices are cheap I'd be interested in buying one to try out (although I imagine they may be more expensive than I'm thinking!).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
@Ian the motors are about $500 cost per treatment - not inexpensive. That's why I don't have any myself. Sad but it is because there is basically one company that controls this market. One house we did work in spent over $11K on these treatments. Oh, to have money :)

Last edited:

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Electronics is a huge world to explore Ian and as you rightly say it can be good fun.

I installed large illuminated numbers to the front of our bungalow many years ago this being my first attempt with electronics; at dusk they light at dawn they go out all automatically using a very simple cheap Maplin's kit. Here's the kit;

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/velleman-light-sensitive-switch-solder-kit-qp97f

A couple of years ago fed up of wireless door chimes failing I decided to install a "Startrek red alert" which is still in use; this is wired; this is so loud I'm sure one day it's going to give me an heart attack.

http://www.555-timer-circuits.com/

http://www.circuitdiagramworld.com/...alarm_simulates_star_trek_red_alert_6588.html

555 timer chips are very cheap and very useful. For years Bron and I would visit NR Bardwell's in Sheffield each time we visited Meadowhall shopping centre; Bardwell's was an institution and right from the first time I visited as a total novice I was made most welcome; all the staff really did know electronics and their prices were exceptionally cheap. I was just going to recommend Bardwell's but unfortunately they have ceased trading which has come as a surprise to me. Bardwell's was a very old fashioned electronics store crammed full of goodies; the shop counter was deep it's top being crammed full of bargains rather like a candy store to a child.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/our-towns...ion-closes-after-more-than-70-years-1-8627005

I'm not a fan of Maplins especially since they stopped customers visiting their headquarters in Wombwell which Bron and I visited many times; Maplins stores became so poor that each time we visited it was a case of if you call back tomorrow morning we'll have it for you; sure at 23 mile each way?

I used to buy my capacitors from America (eBay) because even with shipping costs added they were much cheaper than here in the UK allowing me to buy in bulk; I once bought 1,000 x 0.1 uF from Bardwells at a very cheap price; I used lots of capacitors and resistors during my vintage radio restoration period.

Electronics are generally low voltage circuits making them much safer than playing around with mains electricity although a low voltage electronic circuit can be used to control very high voltage/amp circuits with suitable relays.

I installed a VFD onto my Union Graduate lathe giving lots of motor control; the motor is a top quality Brook inverter rated 1.5HP. When I did the lathe conversion out of interest I rigged the motor/VFD up on the bench and was amazed to be able to run the motor between 0 rpm and 11,000 rpm; I have the lathe mandrel limited to 3,000 rpm.

Good luck with your projects Ian but you'll need to be careful electronics don't replace gardening once you gain more experience. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds like we have similar hobbies Colin! I often use CPC for buying electronics components, as it's free delivery over £5 and the prices are quite reasonable - sometimes I'll use RS if I'm in a rush, as they do free next day delivery for all items (even when I've ordered a single 50p connector!).

It's not the same as popping in to a shop and picking parts up, but given the huge volume of parts, it's inevitable that it moved online in time. I wish we had a local electronics component shop nearby.

@Ian the motors are about $500 cost per treatment - not inexpensive. That's why I don't have any myself. Sad but it is because there is basically one company that controls this market. One house we did work in spent over $11K on these treatments. Oh, to have money :)

Thanks for the info :). I'll stick to doing it by hand at that price :ROFLMAO:.

Ask a Question