Holly tree with berries - tree, not shrub.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I would like to plant a holly tree with berries in my front garden. I was thinking about blue maid (with berries). Could you advise what is the best tree, not shrub please. I don't want to end up with shrubs but with a kind of lolly pop shape.
Thank you

Jo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Jo
The best is ilex J. C. Van Tol. :)
Often used to help pollinate other hollies but it berries reliably and profusely.
Not too prickly either and suitable for shaping/training. Nice dark green foliage. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
You create the lollipop effect by cutting off side branches as your plant grows taller. All trees have side branches if grown naturally with the exception of grafted trees, which is a rather different situation.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums from Dorzet :)

Good advice above :)

All Hollies will try to be trees :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
We have two different hollies planted right next to each other for effect and privacy in our front garden, they are getting quite tall now and are still furnished well with side branches nearly to ground level, becoming a bit troublesome with the mower now so I will be removing some of the side branches in the coming months, this will create the single stem lollipop effect.​

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hollies are such wonderful evergreens yet oddly not planted as often as they should be,.
I have Golden King at 15' tall and as much across trimmed to a conical shape. Looks great as a focal point. Also Handsworth New Silver trained similarly but smaller at 9' tall and 5' across. This stands next to a wall trained cotinus Royal Purple thus making a purple red/ green/white combiation from spring until late autumn
Easy to prune and shape and no vices :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Actually there is a lot of Holly planted by contractors these days, it is commonly planted in native hedges, the most common form used is Ilex Aquifolium,common evergreen holly.planted either in 9am pots or whips/transplants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Think it depends what area of the country different areas seem to have different fads shall we say. There does seem to be Holly in abundance here in Somerset, both variagated and common evergreen. I can't say about areas north of here as we tend to be quite localised. If you have difficulty locating any let me know and I'll see what I can do to help you out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Jo
The best is ilex J. C. Van Tol. :)
Often used to help pollinate other hollies but it berries reliably and profusely.
Not too prickly either and suitable for shaping/training. Nice dark green foliage. :)

JC van Tol it is then. Just waiting for my delivery. Decided to buy one little for big planter and the bigger one will follow if we like the small one
Thank you for your help.

Ask a Question