Holiday Plants

Reaction score
Since the Christmas holiday is so close I am starting to see Poinsettia's and Christmas Cactus plants galore on the shelves and displays at stores. I do so love the pretty foliage of the Poinsettias and I really do need to get another Christmas Cactus as I killed mine several years ago.

Will you shop for any holiday plants?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love the Poinsettia as the Christmas plant in the house. I try to keep the plant around as long as possible after the season has passed. I just purchased a book "The Complete Houseplant Survival Manual" that may help me keep the plant alive this year.

I have not heard of the Christmas Cactus, I will have to look for that one when I go to the Home Depot.

Reaction score
I feel tempted to shop for Poinsettias because they're so beautiful, but my family doesn't even celebrate christmas (we celebrate a totally different thing during that season too). It must be lovely to put all your wits, creativity and energy on decoration your houses for christmas, yes, plants included! By the way, I had never heard about christmas cactus!!! :alien: I just googled them and they look lovely!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
No, definitely not, I don't want to grow any Christmas plants. I don't want them to remind me that this holiday is getting closer:( I really don't like it! If it was possible, I wouldn't celebrate it.
I have a question though. What is a Christmas Cactus?:p It's the first time when I hear of it.

Reaction score
I know both these plants are regarded almost everywhere in the World as Christmas plants, but where I live, we grow them all year round - outside :)

As many of you don't seem to know what Christmas cactus looks like and for 'Shellyann' who is missing hers - here are some pictures for you to enjoy

Christmas cactus pink.jpg

christmas cactus white (White).jpg

Christmas-Cactus3.jpg

Pretty aren't they ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I had no idea that Christmas cactus is such a lovely plant! I really like it. It doesn't even look like a cactus to me lol. Its flowers are gorgeous. Thank you for sharing the pictures, Gata Montes. I don't know why people call the plant Christmas Cactus. In my opinion it would be better to call it Spring Cactus, haha:)

Reaction score
I had no idea that Christmas cactus is such a lovely plant! I really like it. It doesn't even look like a cactus to me lol. Its flowers are gorgeous. Thank you for sharing the pictures, Gata Montes. I don't know why people call the plant Christmas Cactus. In my opinion it would be better to call it Spring Cactus, haha:)

I know the word Cacti, instantly has most of us thinking of something vicious, spikey and prickly :D but not all cacti are like that and there are many like this one, Schlumbergera which although they belong to the cacti family, look more like a succulent.

There are many varieties of Schlumbergera or The Holiday Plant, which are associated with various holidays, depending on what time of year they bloom.
Like for instance the early flowering one is called The Thanksgiving Cactus, which is then followed by The Christmas Cactus and finally The Easter Cactus.

They are lovely plants and when in flower - do it profusely :) for quite a long period of time, but still look good all year round and have even been known to flower out of the holiday season they are associated with :D

Reaction score
No, definitely not, I don't want to grow any Christmas plants. I don't want them to remind me that this holiday is getting closer:( I really don't like it! If it was possible, I wouldn't celebrate it.
I have a question though. What is a Christmas Cactus?:p It's the first time when I hear of it.

Why not, Claudine? Are you one of those persons who find christmas to be depressing? My mother does, we don't celebrate it, but we still have to get tru the holiday :p With all those christmas ads and TV shows... and so on!

I know both these plants are regarded almost everywhere in the World as Christmas plants, but where I live, we grow them all year round - outside :)

As many of you don't seem to know what Christmas cactus looks like and for 'Shellyann' who is missing hers - here are some pictures for you to enjoy

View attachment 1371

View attachment 1372

View attachment 1370

Pretty aren't they ?

The pink one is divine! All of them are pretty, but my favorite one is the pink one :)

Reaction score
I love the Poinsettia as the Christmas plant in the house. I try to keep the plant around as long as possible after the season has passed. I just purchased a book "The Complete Houseplant Survival Manual" that may help me keep the plant alive this year.

I have not heard of the Christmas Cactus, I will have to look for that one when I go to the Home Depot.

I don't know the technical name of them but they are also sometimes called Easter Cactus as well. If I remember correctly some of them will grow flowers in the Spring time and some will grow the flowers in winter during the Christmas season. @gata montes posted beautiful pictures of them.

I feel tempted to shop for Poinsettias because they're so beautiful, but my family doesn't even celebrate christmas (we celebrate a totally different thing during that season too). It must be lovely to put all your wits, creativity and energy on decoration your houses for christmas, yes, plants included! By the way, I had never heard about christmas cactus!!! :alien: I just googled them and they look lovely!!

Even if you don't celebrate Christmas no need to deprive yourself of the pretty Poinsettia! The Christmas Cactus is quite lovely.

Reaction score
@claudine they are lovely plants. As @gata montes explained there are different ones for 3 holiday seasons.

@gata montes thank you for describing it for me and for placing the pictures! I have had the pink flower at the top and the reddish/orange one at the bottom as well. Although the white one is pretty I am just not keen on the color. I really miss my plants.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Yes I am attracted to the pinks as well. I will probably buy a pink one. My Mama has a red one and I can get a cutting from her. It would be great if she had both. My sister always gives her plants for Thanksgiving..... perhaps I will get lucky and get a pink clipping from one of her new plants. LOL !

Maybe you could try persuading your sister to buy a pink one, especially as your Mama already has a red one, but failing that, especially as they root so easily, you could perhaps try, wicked as this may sound - whenever you see one in a shop that you like, accidentally knock into a few until - a would be cutting drops off :D

Reaction score
Maybe you could try persuading your sister to buy a pink one, especially as your Mama already has a red one, but failing that, especially as they root so easily, you could perhaps try, wicked as this may sound - whenever you see one in a shop that you like, accidentally knock into a few until - a would be cutting drops off :D

I have been known to be rather clumsly! ;);):eek::D

Ask a Question