Hole in tomato

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So far this the only one with a hole. We do have some splitting from inconsistent watering
Hole in tomato.JPG
Hole in tomato.JPG
, which I learned after they split, but what causes the hole?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So far this the only one with a hole. We do have some splitting from inconsistent wateringView attachment 56783View attachment 56783, which I learned after they split, but what causes the hole?
I know of two caterpillars that do this type of damage. One is the tomato pinworm and the other is the tomato fruitworm. This looks like tomato fruitworm damage.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
D you have any mockingbirds in the area? Looks exactly like a mocker's calling card.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Being a bird watcher I would have notice a mockingbird and have not seen any around here. I'll keep an eye out for worms and look into some sort of spray for them. Thank you both for my education.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Being a bird watcher I would have notice a mockingbird and have not seen any around here. I'll keep an eye out for worms and look into some sort of spray for them. Thank you both for my education.
You can spray Bt for fruitworms but there's not much you can do about pinworms. Pinworms usually attack on the shoulder of a tomato and it is a tiny hole caused when the egg hatches and the tiny worm starts eating his way into the tomato. A fruitworm is a good sized caterpillar when it starts to eat into the tomato and can be seen on the plant and the hole is much larger.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I seem to have the same problem... our first tomato to start growing seemed to be ripening (thought nothing of the ripening because it was the first to set)... big hole. Another tomato in a separate bunch has the same.

We have Sevin spray currently, would that work on these buggers? If so, would it be best to spray the plant in the morning or dusk, when the suns not beating down? (We haven't yet used the Sevin spray on anything, unsure if it is something that would burn the plant with the sun beating down)

Ask a Question