Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Jewell submitted a new Showcase Item:

Hodgepodge Summer

This summer has been the longest, driest and hottest I have ever seen since living in western Washingtom state. We are more of a temperate rain forest, but rain has been seldom and very little. From a newscast this morning it looks like next summer will be much of the same since El Niño will be hanging around for some time. I am way behind in my weeding, watering and harvesting. Have lots of blueberries, but failed to get much of the raspberry harvest because it was too darn hot. Right now we had a light rain over night for the first time in over a month so mushrooms sprouted on the Huglekultur. Good to know great things are happening under the soil. Here are a few random photos from around the yard.

Read more about this showcase item here...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Here in Texas I think we got your weather............rain and cool weather. It hasn't reached 100F yet with the high so far of 93F. This is unheard of. I have seen more different detrimental fungi on my vegetables than I ever have in over 50 years. What normally makes a great crop is marginal and what usually is difficult to have a good crop has been an exceptional crop.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Here in Texas I think we got your weather............rain and cool weather. It hasn't reached 100F yet with the high so far of 93F. This is unheard of. I have seen more different detrimental fungi on my vegetables than I ever have in over 50 years. What normally makes a great crop is marginal and what usually is difficult to have a good crop has been an exceptional crop.
Know just how you feel for weird weather. We had volunteer tomato plants that were like weeds. Usually have a very difficult time getting them to grow and nothing ripens until almost September unless grown under a frame. My volunteers will have fruit ripen this next week. If we are lucky usually we may have a day or two in August of 90 degree weather. :eek:We had ten consecutive days in June/July with 95 degree weather so far this summer.:confused: It is a relief to be back to the 80s. Usual weather is low 50s warming to 70s around four in the afternoon.

Chuck, you can send our weather back any time.:) My water bill is going to be a real shocker this next month so some cool weather and rain would be a real relief:notworthy:.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Beautiful flowers and would love to sit in your cane chairs amongst the flower.:love: Your garden looks great in spite of the lack of rain. You've obviously had to water, Jewell, hence your anticipated high water bill. I set up a watering system a few summers ago and my water bill was horrendous so it's back to hand watering for me. I enjoy it .....summer evening, 6 o'clock, gardened all day, evening meat organized, hose in one hand and wine white wine in the other. Sometime I have to put it down to maneuver the hose but I manage!:LOL: It's winter here and raining and dark outside at 6.30am. Looking forward to the warmer weather.:)

Ask a Question