Hippeastrum commonly known as Amaryllis

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Funny you should say that - as that was exactly what I was going to suggest - especially as I think it highly likely that your bulb will very probably have a few bulblets already - however - although October is a good time to plant Hippeastrum bulbs - if the one you have in a pot is currently showing any signs of grow - then I would suggest that you wait until its finished its growth cycle and stopped blooming before you transplant it into your garden - which will most likely be early spring - as they do best when planted during their resting period :)

It doesn't have any blooms though. Maybe I can replant it next week. I can't do it this weekend because there is a typhoon here. :O It's very muddy in the garden!

Reaction score
It doesn't have any blooms though. Maybe I can replant it next week. I can't do it this weekend because there is a typhoon here. :O It's very muddy in the garden!

Sorry to hear that you are currently experiencing a typhoon and hope that everything is okay and will of course be after it has passed and have to say that I can fully understand why you wouldn't want to be doing any gardening in those sort of conditions - however in some ways that's probably a good thing - as I realize I forgot to ask if your Hippeastrum is evergreen - in that although it may not have flowers at present it does keep its leaves all year round - as the answer to that could make a difference.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Sorry to hear that you are currently experiencing a typhoon and hope that everything is okay and will of course be after it has passed and have to say that I can fully understand why you wouldn't want to be doing any gardening in those sort of conditions - however in some ways that's probably a good thing - as I realize I forgot to ask if your Hippeastrum is evergreen - in that although it may not have flowers at present it does keep its leaves all year round - as the answer to that could make a difference.

Yes, the ones I have here keep their leaves all year round. :) I didn't know that there are varieties that do not?

Reaction score
Yes, the ones I have here keep their leaves all year round. :) I didn't know that there are varieties that do not?

Although I had thought on seeing the picture of yours that it was one of the evergreen varieties - I realized that I'd better double check - as I didn't want to give you the wrong advice - particularly as the growing instructions for the non-evergreen variety are slightly different - but yes as yours is evergreen - its fine to go ahead and plant yours in the ground as originally mentioned.

And yes there are two varieties -

The non-evergreen South African Amaryllis that are generally sold as Christmas or late winter flowering indoor bulbs

and the one you have

The evergreen South American Hippeastrum which generally has more spectacular blooms and normally flowers from spring to early summer - although it can - depending on the climate its grown - flower at almost any time of the year :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Although I had thought on seeing the picture of yours that it was one of the evergreen varieties - I realized that I'd better double check - as I didn't want to give you the wrong advice - particularly as the growing instructions for the non-evergreen variety are slightly different - but yes as yours is evergreen - its fine to go ahead and plant yours in the ground as originally mentioned.

And yes there are two varieties -

The non-evergreen South African Amaryllis that are generally sold as Christmas or late winter flowering indoor bulbs

and the one you have

The evergreen South American Hippeastrum which generally has more spectacular blooms and normally flowers from spring to early summer - although it can - depending on the climate its grown - flower at almost any time of the year :)

Thank you so much for this! I am learning a lot. :D I just replanted the one that flowered that was in a pot to the ground. :) I am hoping that they will grow more beautifully.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Helagumamela, I'm sure they will:)

I think that one of the prettiest Amaryllis varieties is 'Blossom Peacock'. Look how lovely it is:

amaryllis-blossom-peacock.jpg

amaryllisblossompeacock.jpg

Reaction score
Thank you so much for this! I am learning a lot. :D I just replanted the one that flowered that was in a pot to the ground. :) I am hoping that they will grow more beautifully.

You're more than welcome and am really pleased to have been of help - especially as once established Hippeastrum are stunning plants to have around and yes - I feel more than sure that as you have managed to plant yours now - that you will be rewarded with an abundance of flowers this spring and a much larger clump in the following year - I would however just add - that when yours does bloom in the spring - I would love to see some photos of it in all its glory :)

Reaction score
" Blossom Peacock " is a wonderful choice claudine as although it doesn't fair too well outdoors and is one of those varieties that is best only grown as an indoor plant - I can understand why " Blossom Peacock " would be a favorite choice - as apart from it having double blooms - its one of the very few varieties that are actually fragrant :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
You're more than welcome and am really pleased to have been of help - especially as once established Hippeastrum are stunning plants to have around and yes - I feel more than sure that as you have managed to plant yours now - that you will be rewarded with an abundance of flowers this spring and a much larger clump in the following year - I would however just add - that when yours does bloom in the spring - I would love to see some photos of it in all its glory :)

I wonder where I can get different colors though. I think I love to have red ones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
" Blossom Peacock " is a wonderful choice claudine as although it doesn't fair too well outdoors and is one of those varieties that is best only grown as an indoor plant - I can understand why " Blossom Peacock " would be a favorite choice - as apart from it having double blooms - its one of the very few varieties that are actually fragrant :)
I didn't know about it, I love fragrant flowers:) I'm wondering what 'Blossom Peacock' smells like. I wouldn't mind growing it indoors, it would make a lovely home decoration.
Outside, I'd plant 'Charisma':

hipp%20chharismmma2-500x500.jpg

Reaction score
I wonder where I can get different colors though. I think I love to have red ones.

Hopefully you will manage to get some more colors - as the bulbs for all colors and all varieties of Hippeastrum - both indoor and outdoor - are widely available either online or at most garden stores and if looking for a red one - I can highly recommend this one

Hippeastrum x Johnsonii

Amaryllis - H x johnsonii.jpg

Amaryllis - H x Johnsonii 1.jpg

Amaryllis - Hippeastrum Johnsonii - Red.jpg

as being one that would be well worth considering - even though its not entirely red - as not only does it flower profusely but is also known to grow extremely well where you live and if its of any help - I feel more than sure that in your part of the world - its referred to as " The St. Joseph's Lily " :)

Reaction score
I'm wondering what 'Blossom Peacock' smells like. Outside, I'd plant 'Charisma':

Although I haven't had the pleasure of smelling it myself - I'm told by those who have done so - that " Blossom Peacock 's " scent is truly exquisite :)

As you like " Charisma " - you might also like this one called " Temptation "

Amaryllis . H - Temptation.jpg

especially as it is very similar to " Charisma " and another called " Show Master " which also looks very similar to both - but unfortunately am unable to show you what the latter looks like - as I haven't been able to find a photo of " Show Master " yet - that allows free use :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
'Temptation' looks very pretty. I like it.
I've just looked for other Amaryllis varieties and I fell in love with 'Apple Blossom'. I believe it's one of the most gorgeous plants I've ever seen:

DETA-905.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Hopefully you will manage to get some more colors - as the bulbs for all colors and all varieties of Hippeastrum - both indoor and outdoor - are widely available either online or at most garden stores and if looking for a red one - I can highly recommend this one as being one that would be well worth considering - even though its not entirely red - as not only does it flower profusely but is also known to grow extremely well where you live and if its of any help - I feel more than sure that in your part of the world - its referred to as " The St. Joseph's Lily " :)

Yay! Thank you so much for this recommendation. I will ask at the gardening store this weekend when I go there to look for kale seeds. I hope they have this one!

Reaction score
'Temptation' looks very pretty. I like it.
I've just looked for other Amaryllis varieties and I fell in love with 'Apple Blossom'. I believe it's one of the most gorgeous plants I've ever seen:

I would agree as would many others too - that " Apple Blossom " is beautiful - in fact its one of the most popular of all - not only because of its enormous blooms - but guess what - its fragrant too :D and belongs to that small group of Hiipeastrum that are fragrant - just like " Blossom Peacock ".

So as you are so taken with " Apple Blossom " and this variety is generally grown indoors - I was thinking that if you wanted an outdoor companion that looked very similar - you might like this hardy variety

Hippeastrum Sonatini - " Lollipop "

Amaryllis - H. Sonatini - lollipop.jpg

especially as it could very definitely be grown outdoors where you live :)

Ask a Question