Hiking

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yesterday, my youngest son, Nate, started his hike of the Pacific Crest Trail - all 2650 miles of it. This is the second long hike he has done, but the first one was a cake walk compared to this one - only 200+ miles. It worries me a lot because he is doing this alone. The first 700 miles is desert. I am such a homebody I just don't get the attraction of not being able to use a toilet, shower or have tp sleep on the ground.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I know we have a member that has hiked the Appalachian Trail. @roadrunner? (Just wanted to make sure you saw this! :))

Myself, I like camping. I could go without the toilet, and as long as I could find water for washing my dirty bits, I could probably go without a shower (for a while... not 700 miles walking without a shower!!) but my poor back wouldn't let me sleep on the ground!! :eek:

I hope Nate has a wonderful experience!! (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
He is more than 3 weeks into it and I received a text from him last night saying he will probably take a zero day today. The area where he is now has a high wind warning and up to 8 inches of snow predicted for today. California is getting some STRANGE weather!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here he is a little while ago. He is now in Tehachapi ( hope I spelled that correctly!) taking a day off due to shin splints. Today is also his birthday so he deserves a zero day. If you would like to follow him, he is on Instanagram- nasboston
802B91CA-41FE-4A64-92EF-34765C0B74E2.jpeg
85361819-48D7-4005-A995-815EC1175C3A.jpeg
E76A2A37-F13A-4C7A-B9A0-5AE5DC10CE9F.jpeg

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
He looks like he is having a wonderful time! (y) What beautiful scenery!

I don't Instagram, but if you wouldn't mind bumping this thread from time to time, I'd love to enjoy his trip vicariously. (I'm a bit of a homebody, too!)

Happy birthday, Nate!!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Saw this online, and was reminded of this thread. (And I need some new luggage... Hmm.... ;))

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I wonder how much it weighs? On a long thru hike like he is doing he needs to keep everything as light as possible - he has to carry water which isn't exactly light. I think this is a great idea. He made it to Walker Pass (652 miles) and will be taking a week off due to shin splints and his girlfriend is flying out to see him. He said the last couple of days were brutal in the Mojave. Only 2000+/- miles to go!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
UPDATE: Nate, my son is now at the Mt Whitney side trail (which is kind of east of Fresno). He has decided to fly north to the Canadian end and hike south due to conditions where he is now. He said it is very snowy and slippery. I know there was a hiker who was last seen on the summit of My Whitney (Elevation 14,505 feet) on Sunday, then he disappeared. His body was found a few days later 1900 foot from the summit. Technically, Mt Whitney isn't on the PCT but is only a few miles from it so most hikers doing the PCT do the side trail to the summit. I have been watching Youtube videos of each section as he hikes it - the stuff of nightmares! The river and creek crossings are scary since they are swollen by melting snow and there are few bridges. I will be SO GLAD when he is finished!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I found out the real reason he decided to flip and come south, but he doesn't want me to know (he knows I worry). One of the last days on the trail heading north he had a bear encounter, was stalked by 3 mountain lions (Mother and juveniles we think) and his camp was surrounded by a pack of coyotes - all within a 6 hour period. He told his dad that it was the scariest 6 hours of his life. He was hiking alone. Now he is heading south he is again with a group of hikers which makes it safer.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
One of the last days on the trail heading north he had a bear encounter, was stalked by 3 mountain lions (Mother and juveniles we think) and his camp was surrounded by a pack of coyotes - all within a 6 hour period.

:wideyed: :wideyed: :eek: Wow, that must have been terrifying!!

I'm glad he's with a group now. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
He is officially halfway done now. He estimates his finish date to be October 1. He will get into Cascade Locks, Oregon today to start the Oregon part of his journey. From what he told his girlfriend Washington was brutal, just because of mosquitoes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
He finishes Oregon today. From what this girlfriend told me, he has about 970 miles to go to finish.

Ask a Question