Hiking in Tennessee

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I was out hiking last spring in Burgess State Park in Tennessee and came across these interesting little plants and was wondering if anyone knows what they are. These photos were taken in March.

2013 - March 15 038.JPG

2013 - March 15 068.JPG

2013 - March 15 062.JPG

Attachments

• 2013 - March 15 063.JPG
    2013 - March 15 063.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 442
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am not sure what that green one, but it sure does look cool. It really looks like it is decked out in camouflage. I would like to know what that one is too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yeah, I loved that one (the one in the middle). I would love to see what it looks like once it blooms. It actually reminds me of Audrey in Little Shop of Horrors.

That's one thing I love about hiking, you see so many different types of plants and flowers, things you'd never see in a nursery or even a plant catalog. The only problem is, it's hard to find a reference and figure out what they are. Sometimes, the little mysteries in life are the best!

Reaction score
I was out hiking last spring in Burgess State Park in Tennessee and came across these interesting little plants and was wondering if anyone knows what they are. These photos were taken in March.

The plant in the first photo is I think - Hepatica - a spring flowering perennial commonly known as Liverwort of which there many, many different wild and cultivated species - with a color range of pink, white, blue and purple.

Hepatica - H. Americana - Liverwort.JPG

The plants in both the second and third photos are very definitely the tuberous spring flowering perennial known as Trillium of which there are hundreds and hundreds of both wild and cultivated species - with plenty of variety in terms of foliage as well as a wide choice of colors - which can be anything from shades of red, purple, white, pink, yellow and even green.
I would however just warn you that not all Trilliums smell as attractive as they look - as there are some that do have a very off putting odor or to put it bluntly would best be described as foul stench :(

Trillium - T.Sessile - wild.jpg

Trillium - T. Luteum - wild.jpg

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
And we thought all flowers smelled good. They are pretty, are they native to just that part of the country or can we find them in other parts of the states.

Reaction score
The one with the flower coming out of the 3 leaves is a Trillium. They are very beautiful, but have a very strong smell. Please do not ever pick these flowers, if you pick it, it will be 7 years before that plant produces a flower again, it will come back only with its leaves, no flower. My parents found this out when they picked some from their yard.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for the help. For some reason, it's always nice to know the name of the flowers I'm enjoying. I love seeing these flowers in their "native" setting - there's something so zen about it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love seeing flowers in their native setting too. Whenever I'm traveling, I always look at the ground and look for flowers. Sometimes, you can notice something really pretty!:)
Trillium looks very unique! I'm not sure if I like it;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The first two have been correctly identified as round leaved hepatica and trillium (known as wake-robin around here). The third one is called trout lily (Erythronium americanum) and is a very common wildflower in rich woods and alluvial plains. Hope that helped!

Ask a Question