Hibiscus seeds - when to start?

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, I'm trying to propagate my hibiscus plant. So I pollinated a couple of plants and will collect the seeds soon. I live in colder climates - the plants die off and come back to life (hopefully) in the spring. WInters can be harsh in the Chicago area.

My question is, when is the best time to plant the seeds, in winter or should I wait until spring? I understand i need to keep the warm, light etc, but I'm not sure when to start.

Thanks
Alex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand that this varies depending on which variety of Hibiscus you have. Do you know the variety?
There are some Hibiscus that like to be sown in the springtime with a bottom heat of 15 - 20 C and some others you can sow at any time and leave them out in the cold until they are ready to decide to germinate.
If in doubt, I would favour the second method I think.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The one I really would love to have more of is Midnight Marvel Hibiscus. It's the 2nd year I have it and it literally had over 100 flowers as big as my head. I used a hardy hibiscus plant to pollinate it.

Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could I suggest that you increase your stock by cuttings... here is a video link I found for you. i think this would be the easiest and quickest way to produce more plants exactly like the parent one

Ask a Question