Hibiscus pruning advice

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi everyone,

I'm a new member and a novice gardener, and hoping I can get some advice on pruning a Hibiscus. It's potted and has been inside in a sunny spot for the winter, but will go back outside in full morning sun for the summer. I'm in Southern Ontario, on the border with Michigan.

The plant has five main stalks that are growing straight up and out quite far away from the main stem. The tallest stalk is about 44 inches.

I really don't like the way it's growing out so wide with no growth in the middle. I've also read that early spring is a good time to prune it.

I'm thinking about cutting some of the widest stems off quite low and close to the main stem. Should I also cut the tops off the central stems? Will this encourage more dense growth in the centre of the plant.

I've attached a pic and would appreciate any advice. The plant was a gift for my mother, but she has Alzheimer's, so I'm taking care of things like this for her.

Thanks,

Andy

Attachments

• 20220326_111603.jpg
    20220326_111603.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Prune the outer branches down to a foot or so. Select a pruning point just above an inward/upward facing leaf bud.
For the tallest central branch, just prune out the growing tip to encourage side branching.
You will want the majority of new growth to come off this branch.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Here's a pic after pruning. I left a couple longer than 12 inches so it didn't look too bare. Hope it will be alright.

Attachments

• 20220326_165634.jpg
    20220326_165634.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
That looks good. Now wait to see exactly where it branches. It might look a little bare in the middle at first but it should fill in.

Ask a Question